mystery chicks -gender and breed help appreciated :-)

Laurel Meadows

Songster
Oct 5, 2014
Ohio
Hi everyone! I have several 5 week'ers and a few have me stumped. The farmer I got them from could not ID male or female at 10 days old when he gave them to me and promises to trade me for hens if I have roosters (which I believe I have a few). Need to know who needs to make the trip back to him in a couple weeks. There are 6 chicks (2 jersey Giants, 1 barred rock cross, 2 white rock or crosses of, and a yellow chick that is turning buff. Farmer has a gorgeous giant roo and ameraucana roo and various hens including barred rocks, white rocks, comets, Giants and speckled Sussex. Could be combos of any and all. Sorry for the poor lighting, I'm trying to get better pics up soon. My phone seems to be set on one pic at a time so sorry about the multiple posts to get these on here. First is the whole group:

This one started out yellow with slight bit of buff around the eyes and has been feathering in red and buff also has a jet black feather on one wing!

Top left I believe is a rooster. Comb and wattles look pretty convincing to my untrained eyes. The one beside it is solid white at the moment. Yellow legs on both at the top.

The white bird in the first photo looks like a cockerel. I think that the other white bird is probably one too.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking a look! I'll work on some better pics of the second white one and the barred chick as they grow a bit more and see if anything jumps out at you all!

Back
Top Bottom