Help! Cookies and Cream (Black Mottled) Rooster x ? Who is the mom?

Ashleyboz

Songster
Oct 27, 2023
We have a cookies and cream rooster.
Hens are ISA Brown, Black Australorp, Plymouth Barred Rocks, Smokey Pearl, White Cochin, and Blue Cochins. A few are pretty obvious they are not but I’ve been having a hard time with the black australorps, barred rocks (sex linked with this combo) and the white Cochin since they turn black with this combo also. Any help would be amazing!

Attachments

• 85261930-BBB2-47C3-9FA4-BFAE504EAD3B.jpeg
    85261930-BBB2-47C3-9FA4-BFAE504EAD3B.jpeg
    468.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 3CE062EF-2A20-421A-8149-94D585BE8BE5.jpeg
    3CE062EF-2A20-421A-8149-94D585BE8BE5.jpeg
    599.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20E7804D-3A5D-4EB5-8D16-A1C11C931554.jpeg
    20E7804D-3A5D-4EB5-8D16-A1C11C931554.jpeg
    403.3 KB · Views: 16
  • F8712634-2519-4304-8CE5-2EEDEAF41D5E.jpeg
    F8712634-2519-4304-8CE5-2EEDEAF41D5E.jpeg
    524.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
We have a cookies and cream rooster.
Hens are ISA Brown, Black Australorp, Plymouth Barred Rocks, Smokey Pearl, White Cochin, and Blue Cochins. A few are pretty obvious they are not but I’ve been having a hard time with the black australorps, barred rocks (sex linked with this combo) and the white Cochin since they turn black with this combo also. Any help would be amazing!
He's a Faverolle mix.

Since he's Birchen(Crowwing) in color, most likely half Marans. But this could have been either the mother, or father.

Hens are ISA Brown, Black Australorp, Plymouth Barred Rocks, Smokey Pearl, White Cochin, and Blue Cochins.

The rooster is cookies and cream and now I’m trying to figure out which hen made this cross out of the hens we have.

Hens are ISA Brown, Black Australorp, Plymouth Barred Rocks, Smokey Pearl, White Cochin, and Blue Cochins.

The rooster is cookies and cream and now I’m trying to figure out which hen made this cross out of the hens we have.
I thought you were just listing hens, you got with him.

I thought you were calling this crossing cookies, & cream?

Cookies and cream is a Meyer hatchery 'designer breed' mix that generally is black mottled, often with silver leakage, has a beard, small to medium crest, and some foot feathering, and usually has extra toes.

This cockerel is not the son of a Barred Plymouth Rock hen, as he would be barred, so we can eliminate her right away.

He most likely is not the son of the Cochins, as I would expect more foot feathering in the offspring of that mix.

I'm not sure that it can be narrowed down any further than that with certainty. I think either the smokey pearl or the ISA brown are the most likely mothers in his case. I would expect less color leakage in the offspring from the Australorp in this cross... but I don't think she can be eliminated entirely just on that, so she is still a slight possibility.

Both ISA browns and smokey pearls are hybrids that should be heterozygous dominant white, so would have a 50-50 shot of passing the gene on. A chick not inheriting the gene does not rule out either of them as the mother, in other words. From a Black Australorp, I would expect less color leaking through, especially this early on, personally. But, it could still be possible, which is why I didn't rule her out entirely. 🙂

Personally, based on how widespread the color leaking is on him, I'd lean the most toward the ISA as the mother. Their genetics tend to impart a lot of color leaking in mixes out of them.

Back
Top Bottom