Getting chicks to love you?

Zealo

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 8, 2014
I've got four baby chicks 2 BR and 2 RIRs.
Their about 8 days old and will rush to you or to your hand.
Both of my Barred Rocks will eat anything in my hand without hesitation, but my Rhode Island Reds prefer to check things out and decide if its worth eating or not. One of the treats that my chicks love is dried crumbled meal-worms, but one of my RIRs usually stays on the sidelines and does other things, unless its a life cricket. My BR also love jumping up and resting on my arm, but again, my RIRs don't. Anyway I can get my other chicks to love up to me, or is it just something to do with their character or breed?
What do you do that gets your chicks to love being with you?

I think it is a breed tendency overlaid by what we do. Bet the one who is hesitant will be the lowest on pecking order when they are grown, somewhat fearful unless the treat is too much to ignore. Hand held treats is the key, be patient. They will all love you in their own way. BR are very friendly. All I ever read was RIR were not friendly, but many on the forum tell that they can be.

Make sure you are giving them chick grit, when they eat anything other than starter crumbles they need it.

That's simple! Just feed them the most juicy live mealworms you can find! haha

image source

The easiest way to anyone's heart is going through their stomach! What I wouldn't do for a hot fudge browny right nowwwww! lmao

Thanks Sunfour, Jess
This is the first time I started to raise chicks, last thing I want is for them to fear my presence or be mean to people.

I've been giving them small gravel and sand from outside for grit after I found out that my boyfriends father was giving them crickets he found running around in the garage.
roll.png
Thats when the giving of treats started.

Took my chicks outside for the very first time
At first I had them in a small fenced in area, but every time I'd take a few steps away to go found crickets, they'd go to the nearest part of the fence to try and follow me.. So I figured why not see what happens, and they all came over to me.
love.gif

It was so much fun watching the chicks hopping on me, even my RIRs. They didn't seem generally scared of the new environment as they were still chirping happily and were looking for interesting treats. Even my Madam Mim was able to catch and eat a cricket without the others bothering her. At least I know their not scared of me.
yesss.gif

Took my chicks outside for the very first time
At first I had them in a small fenced in area, but every time I'd take a few steps away to go found crickets, they'd go to the nearest part of the fence to try and follow me.. So I figured why not see what happens, and they all came over to me.
love.gif

It was so much fun watching the chicks hopping on me, even my RIRs. They didn't seem generally scared of the new environment as they were still chirping happily and were looking for interesting treats. Even my Madam Mim was able to catch and eat a cricket without the others bothering her. At least I know their not scared of me.
yesss.gif
wee.gif
Congratulations.

Quick question

My Slightly distant RIR seems to be growing slower then the other?
When I first brought them home, she was the biggest out of the two, now she's slightly smaller and also lighter then the other.
She still eats and drinks, but doesn't run around as much as the others and also prefers to sleep more.
Is there something wrong with her?

Edit: Cruella, the less active chick still runs around with the others, but still no idea why she is slow in growing. She's growing feathers like the others, its just her size and weight that seem to be lacking.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom