how long do golden laced chickens live for.

Beer can

Crossing the Road
9 Years
Aug 12, 2014
Upstate NY
i love my golden laced chicken pip and I REALLY want to knew how long they live.
hit.gif

i love my golden laced chicken pip and I REALLY want to knew how long they live.
hit.gif

Just caught my ten year old daughter that forced me to keep that golden laced polish, using MY profile
somad.gif
to start a thread,,,GRRR,,,kids!!! Anyway she wants to know how long her polish pullet will live, I told her when it stops laying it becomes soup,,,GRRR, guess this one gets to retire in luxury!!
he.gif

Last edited:
Thank you, this is Emilie why do you have so many animals do you work on a farm?
wee.gif
Hi, I'm Shannon. Right now I have 16 chickens, 2 dogs, and a cat. All the other animals are on my wish list. We plan on buying a small farm in a couple of years. Its been our dream for awhile and we're getting closer!

You can't say how long any chicken will live. Gold laced is a color, but I guess you're speaking of the Polish breed. There are gold laced Wyandottes and other Gold laced in different breeds.

There are too many factors. Much has to do with their genetics, first of all. Some depends on your management of them if they have good genetics. My hatchery stock all died early on, except for a couple, all from reproductive malfunctions, which are common in the most purchased hatchery egg laying breeds like the sex links and Plymouth Rocks and especially, it seems, the Wyandottes. The ones out of good quality heritage breeder stock here have almost no egg issues and live much longer.

Some breeds are not as hardy as others; I'd say Polish and Silkies are not as hardy as many other breeds, generally. So, though I've known of chickens living as long as 17 years here on BYC, they do not usually live that long. Seems to me that smaller breeds might live a tad longer than very large breeds, like in the dog world, though there are exceptions to that as well. There just is no one answer to the question.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, my daughter is some worried about her poofy headed chicken "pip"
We lost a few to a predator while we were free rangeing, luckly her polish and her little sister's EEgr bantam survived, now they all are cooped up with a fenced in run.

Thanks for the responses, my daughter is some worried about her poofy headed chicken "pip"
We lost a few to a predator while we were free rangeing, luckly her polish and her little sister's EEgr bantam survived, now they all are cooped up with a fenced in run.

I hope your daughter's favorite chicken lives a good long life. We get so attached to them.

Back
Top Bottom