Pied muscovy question

muslw4

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
Northern Illinois
I recently fell in love with pied muscovies and had some questions about them. Is the pied markings dominant? and it seems that some have white heads with coloring and white in the bodies while other have colored heads like black, blue, chocolate, are the while heads still considered pied?

Also a question about lblue, I understand the gene in chickens but I'm reading in muscovies you get "silver" instead of "splash" what does "silver" look like? Is it white with grey sposts like "splash" in chickens and just called "silver"?

Thaks,

I have raised Muscovy's for 5 years now in multiple varieties blue, black, white, pied, lavender, and white headed. Pied is a fairly easy variety to get, it happens often times when a duck of a dark variety breeds with a white one (or one that has white as a recessive gene). It is not a "desirable" variety because it just a mix of standard ones. This why you can have blue pied, lavender pied, chocolate pied, or any other combination (except white pied). White headed Muscovy's are not considered pied they are called "white headed" but like pied's they are just a mix of non standard varieties. Silver is not like splash, here is a picture of silver Muscovy's according to the International Waterfowl Breeders Association. I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to send me a private message I would love to help more.

Thanks for you consideration.

Sincerely Colton Bennett
Summit County Utah 4-H Poultry club manager & teen leader.

10+ years of raising ducks, chickens, guineas, turkeys, and geese in 20+ breeds & 40+ varieties.
6+ years participant in the 4-H poultry program.
Putnam County Indiana 4-H Poultry club historian 2012.

Thank you. that helps clarify that.

Now blue fawn, that's a combination of blue and recessive chocolate? and chocolate is a sex linked gene right? Then lilac is a combination of chocolate and lavender?

Lilac is blue fawn, They are the same thing. Yes, chocolate is a sex linked gene. You can get lilac (blue fawn) by breeding chocolate with blue, then all the males will be blue or black (that carry the chocolate gene) and females will be lilac. You can also get lilac by breeding buff to chocolate or breeding anything to lilac. A helpful link on Muscovy genetics is:http://www.muscovyduckcentral.com/genetics.html
I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to send me a private message I would love to help more.

Thanks for you consideration.

Sincerely Colton Bennett
Summit County Utah 4-H Poultry club manager & teen leader.
10+ years of raising ducks, chickens, guineas, turkeys, and geese in 20+ breeds & 40+ varieties.
6+ years participant in the 4-H poultry program.
Putnam County Indiana 4-H Poultry club historian 2012.

Not the greatest pic as she was about due for a molt so her color is faded, but this is a silver duck. In person, they look white but upon closer inspection they have a blue/gray/purple hue to them (shes faded to a more lilac color here before her molt)

It is hard to tell from pic but sounds pretty. I need to get some blue muscovies! Need to get the pen done first though. hope it's a mild winter.

Quote:
to get into specifics pied is a co dominate gene, see white is a dominant gene and co dominates with any other color like black so thats how you get traditional pied, but it can also dominate with blue and chocolate, the other forms of pied coloration. Now white heads are like my thing i love white heads and try to breed them all the time and its really not that hard, its called the canizie gene and its dominant, so if you have a dominant and a recessive gene for canizie then your birds head will turn white over time, if you have two canizie genes then the offspring will have white heads by the time the start their juvenile stage and get adult feathers, i hoped i helped, muscovy genetics are like my favorite thing to figure out.

Quote:
Actually blue fawn is from blue and regular chocolate, chocolate is not a dominate or recessive gene chocolate is a sex linked gene and shows up in every thing even if you can't tell so lets say you have a blue fawn right, mother chocolate father blue. and the baby looks a pale chocolate when it has its fluff, but then as it gets to juvenile stage it becomes a buff chocolate color, and about six months after it gets its flight feathers the blue starts to come in and you eventually end up with blue fawn. Now that blue fawn mated with a blue again and the babies are a bluish iron, chocolate color when they are born. but they never show a true chocolate coloration when juvenile or adult just a blue, they still have a chocolate gene since its sex linked and if you were to mate that baby with a chocolate duck again then you'll have a 25% chance of having pure chocolate babies. Any questions?

Can I tell what my baby muscovy will look when it grows up

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom