Help with silver Muscovy genetics

Jbently28

Songster
5 Years
May 7, 2018
Louisiana
So I've been breeding my muscovies for the past few years per Al's Quackery genetics chart. So far I've managed to produce black, blue, chocolate, lilac, buff, and just today I've hatched out some silvers. I'm trying to decide if I should add a male silver to my flock for breeding. Keeping a female would only give me more blues and silvers per the chart, but it doesn't tell me the breeding outcomes for male silvers. I'm always looking to grow my flock to produce new colors to offer Muscovy lovers like myself. Pic for reference. And yes this is a true silver that was produced by crossing a blue male with a lilac female

Attachments

• PXL_20230321_004933557.jpg
    PXL_20230321_004933557.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 28
No idea about answering your question, but this little fluffy is gorgeous! [I love muscovies, but take them as they are, I don't breed them!
I wouldn't call myself a professional breeder by no means lol. My ducks are pets first and foremost (and quite spoiled might I add lol). We just have a high demand for them here locally and if I let nature take it's course and kept them all then I'd have enough for all of us lol. I just like to try for new colors for myself. I usually keep one baby of each new color I get and sell the rest.

I wouldn't call myself a professional breeder by no means lol. My ducks are pets first and foremost (and quite spoiled might I add lol). We just have a high demand for them here locally and if I let nature take it's course and kept them all then I'd have enough for all of us lol. I just like to try for new colors for myself. I usually keep one baby of each new color I get and sell the rest.
A couple of years ago, I rehomed a rescued pekin female duck to a horse farm that had a large pond with many ducks and safe night accommodation in the stables. A relative of the farm owner was breeding lilacs: they were really nice! My most "exotic" mucovy is all white and has blue eyes. He is striking but not as striking as those lilacs were!

Silver is homozygous Blue, meaning the bird has two copies of the Blue gene. As such, the parents must both be Silver to produce a pure Silver clutch.

Here, I've found this .pdf to be extremely helpfu

Silver is homozygous Blue, meaning the bird has two copies of the Blue gene. As such, the parents must both be Silver to produce a pure Silver clutch.

Here, I've found this .pdf to be extremely helpful!
Thank you so much for this link. I was following a different breeding chart which told me I would get blacks, blues, and silvers. The one you shared told me I would get black, blue, silver, lilac, chocolate, and buff. Our last of 12 just hatched and I got all 6 colors!!!

Thank you so much for this link. I was following a different breeding chart which told me I would get blacks, blues, and silvers. The one you shared told me I would get black, blue, silver, lilac, chocolate, and buff. Our last of 12 just hatched and I got all 6 colors!!!
You are most very welcome! I was using Al's too for a bit until I found this one. I'm also aiming for getting ALL the colours, lol! But that's going to be hard since I can't find Bronze or Lavender in Canada :(

You are most very welcome! I was using Al's too for a bit until I found this one. I'm also aiming for getting ALL the colours, lol! But that's going to be hard since I can't find Bronze or Lavender in Canada :(
I had a lavender female a couple of years ago, but we lost her to a prolapse. We got her from a local chicken swap. She was in a dog kennel with about 5 or 6 other full grown muscovies. We didn't realize until we got her home that she had a prolapse. It was so bad. God only knows how long she had been like that. I tried everything possible to save her. I was absolutely devastated. Haven't been able to find any since.

Back
Top Bottom