StinkyAcres

Art & Animals
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jul 31, 2017
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
I'm considering getting a male duck to breed my female Muscovies. I'd like to raise the ducklings for meat.

I've pretty much decided that a male Muscovy is not a good fit for my situation. He'd just be too big to keep over winter and I know they can sometimes be mean and have to be separated from the females and ducklings.

So I thought how about something like a Khaki Campbell drake? Will a Mallard-derived drake be okay with four female Muscovies and vice versa? And how does hinny duck meat taste? Is it gamey like Mallard meat or does the Muscovy make it taste more like beef? TIA

We haven't cooked any of ours yet but we have 4 drake hinnies and 3 hen Hinnies in our freezer right now. They're a product of my Silver Appleyard drake & Muscovy hen. I can tell you that they take on the size differences between the hens and drakes from the Muscovy side. After processing, my hens came out to be 908g/2lbs and drakes weighed 1728g/3lb 13oz.

Edited to add: processed at 3 months old, born 5/11/23 & processed on 8/17/23

Last edited:
We haven't cooked any of ours yet but we have 4 drake hinnies and 3 hen Hinnies in our freezer right now. They're a product of my Silver Appleyard drake & Muscovy hen. I can tell you that they take on the size differences between the hens and drakes from the Muscovy side. After processing, my hens came out to be 908g/2lbs and drakes weighed 1728g/3lb 13oz.

Edited to add: processed at 3 months old, born 5/11/23 & processed on 8/17/23
Thank you!

That doesn't seem worth it. It's not as easy as just throwing a male Muscovy in with my females. I'd have to find a male each year and quarantine him for a month then do a slow introduction to the females every time. And you might as well eat the male at the end of the year rather than sell him.

👍
If you are going to save male muskie from your last clutch, he shouldn't oversized. Get a wild type to start with. As your muskie hens get older they can handle their own kind.
How big do wild type males get? And where would I find a wild type Muscovy? Thanks for your suggestions!

It my be hard to get a pure wild type because of selected breeding to the big fat clean carcass white duck. The are forest dwelling, so you would with the and white varieties an down to your size. If your wanting to do that, find some runts to start with. Some muskies have pink bills and some have a mixed pink and black, I would go with a duck that had the most blackish bill.

ID Info

It my be hard to get a pure wild type because of selected breeding to the big fat clean carcass white duck. The are forest dwelling, so you would with the and white varieties an down to your size. If your wanting to do that, find some runts to start with. Some muskies have pink bills and some have a mixed pink and black, I would go with a duck that had the most blackish bill.
ID Info
Well....I can't breed for a smaller Muscovy without a male and I can't keep a male due to limited space....unless I build another coop...but then I'd have space for a large male...then I wouldn't need a smaller Muscovy....😂

How big do wild type males get? And where would I find a wild type Muscovy? Thanks for your suggestions!
I live in Tampa Fl. there are muscovy ducks everywhere here.I have a hen laying on her eggs right now in my yard only 10 ft from where I sit on the porch.I bought some feed for her and she comes off the nest every other day now to eat and drink and stretch out her wings.Then back on the nest.I haven't ever cooked duck before and here in Pinellas cou nay.The city says they are an invasive species, and anyone can grab or hunt them, without guns.I dont think ill ever kill one .Good luck on yours

Back
Top Bottom