Mulard vs Hinny ducks as adults? Photos pls?j

Here's my hinnies. 2 males and one female.
Born 01/15/2023

Female in front, 2 boys in the back
View attachment 3445094

Dad is Silver Appleyard
Mom is Muscovy
View attachment 3445096

View attachment 3445097

View attachment 3445105

View attachment 3445112

Male
View attachment 3445139

Babies with Mom at 1 month old
View attachment 3445138

As babies the males (right) looked like Dad and girl looked like Mom
View attachment 3445126
@ProudRedneck

So happy that your two got together and produced the three hinnies!! Did Daffy brood them herself or did you bring the eggs in to an incubator. Muscovy ducks make good mammas.

I have another muscovy drake now: A rehome white muscovy with blue eyes. He was ostracized by his brood mates in his original home, but is holding his own with my docile boys!!

@ProudRedneck

So happy that your two got together and produced the three hinnies!! Did Daffy brood them herself or did you bring the eggs in to an incubator. Muscovy ducks make good mammas.

I have another muscovy drake now: A rehome white muscovy with blue eyes. He was ostracized by his brood mates in his original home, but is holding his own with my docile boys!!
Hey yeah, Daffy hatched them herself. We had 6 out of 15 external pip, of those 4 successfully fully hatched. Daisy attacked 1 immediately after it hatched and unalived it so, we ended up having 3.

I've gotta find a home for the two boys but, I have to make sure they don't end up as food. Daisy is not tolerating any of the babies socializing with Daffy.

Hey yeah, Daffy hatched them herself. We had 6 out of 15 external pip, of those 4 successfully fully hatched. Daisy attacked 1 immediately after it hatched and unalived it so, we ended up having 3.

I've gotta find a home for the two boys but, I have to make sure they don't end up as food. Daisy is not tolerating any of the babies socializing with Daffy.
Advertise your boys on the Florida state thread on BYC; try social media (Nextdoor, Facebook) emphasizing the boys are back yard pets. there is even a duck group on Reddit that might help

I was fortunate to be able to trade my two Mullards for 2 little Call Drakes. I traded my big Khaki Campbell Drake and Muscovy Drake for 2 more little Call Drakes. I figured they would be a lot easier on my Hens. Otherwise they were getting battered by my bigger drakes. The man that did the trading told me he had a friend really interested in the Mullards. Hopefully not to eat. I try not to think about it because sometimes you just never know for sure. Good luck finding homes for yours. I know its not easy. My fella I traded with I found on Craigslist.

@Kimmyh51 as far as characteristics I've observered so far.....and this is just based on my 3 hinnies....
  • The males can't fly, they try and can get a little lift but not for long. They can flutter themselves high enough to land on top of a 3 ft high dog kennel I have in the run, but have only did that for the first time today when trying to get away from their Dad.
  • The males make a huffing sound
  • The males took on the size of a Muscovy drake and easily double the size of their sister.
  • The males are strong, Dad cannot hold onto them when they pull away and he cannot out muscle them head to head when he is trying to assert himself. They will just bowl over Dad.
  • The males temperment different between the two, one is pretty calm after being held for a bit and the other is tense the entire time and will take an opportunity if he feels one to escape.

• The female has two white flight feathers and a half ring around her neck, where as the males have no white on them
  • The female can/could fly, clipped her wings this past week.
  • The female is half the size of her brothers, closer to her Mom's size but still a little bit smaller than Mom.
  • Very sassy, does not hesitate to bite while being picked up or held. She's tense the whole time while being held and will do everything to try to escape.
  • When the female bites, she does a twisting motion like a Muscovy.
  • She runs FAST...like a roadrunner.

@Kimmyh51 as far as characteristics I've observered so far.....and this is just based on my 3 hinnies....
  • The males can't fly, they try and can get a little lift but not for long. They can flutter themselves high enough to land on top of a 3 ft high dog kennel I have in the run, but have only did that for the first time today when trying to get away from their Dad.
  • The males make a huffing sound
  • The males took on the size of a Muscovy drake and easily double the size of their sister.
  • The males are strong, Dad cannot hold onto them when they pull away and he cannot out muscle them head to head when he is trying to assert himself. They will just bowl over Dad.
  • The males temperment different between the two, one is pretty calm after being held for a bit and the other is tense the entire time and will take an opportunity if he feels one to escape.

• The female has two white flight feathers and a half ring around her neck, where as the males have no white on them
  • The female can/could fly, clipped her wings this past week.
  • The female is half the size of her brothers, closer to her Mom's size but still a little bit smaller than Mom.
  • Very sassy, does not hesitate to bite while being picked up or held. She's tense the whole time while being held and will do everything to try to escape.
  • When the female bites, she does a twisting motion like a Muscovy.
  • She runs FAST...like a roadrunner.
How interesting. That is just how my Mullards turned out. The female having the half white ring around her neck and their behavior. The only difference was the size. My Mullard Lucky is as big as her brothers both were. She is a pig for the treats they get but my Muscovy Female can put her in her place. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom