What are the chances my duck egg is a moulard? And other eggy insanity...

Next question
Is that pip inside the the air cell area or outside of it ?
Make sure it’s pointy up
I ask this so we know if baby internal first or went straight to external
There will be a difference in hatch time
I would just take the candler and have a peak without moving the egg
@New duck mommy 2021 I just candled and the external pip is NOT inside the air cell! Why? Is this bad? He is pushing on the crack in the egg right now!! What does this mean??

@New duck mommy 2021 I just candled and the external pip is NOT inside the air cell! Why? Is this bad? He is pushing on the crack in the egg right now!! What does this mean??
He was just ready to hatch but couldn’t get himself in the correct position to hit the air cell
It’s not terrible
Just means you wait longer 48-72 hours before he is ready
I have one that hatched like this dec 24 /2021. He is my big baby
He has had zero health issues and still going strong
The rules do change
You may not see a second hit for more then 24 hours
At this time baby just needs to absorb his yolk and rest
After 48 hours of there is no second hit we can candle where the pip is and see how the veins are looking
If baby makes a big circle of hits but not a line around he may need help with the zip or he may do just fine
I don’t worry about it for a minimum of 48 hours though
Often they have a leg over the head and it’s why they couldn’t finish turning
I have also had one start at the wrong end then turn and head to the air cell

He was just ready to hatch but couldn’t get himself in the correct position to hit the air cell
It’s not terrible
Just means you wait longer 48-72 hours before he is ready
I have one that hatched like this dec 24 /2021. He is my big baby
He has had zero health issues and still going strong
The rules do change
You may not see a second hit for more then 24 hours
At this time baby just needs to absorb his yolk and rest
After 48 hours of there is no second hit we can candle where the pip is and see how the veins are looking
If baby makes a big circle of hits but not a line around he may need help with the zip or he may do just fine
I don’t worry about it for a minimum of 48 hours though
Often they have a leg over the head and it’s why they couldn’t finish turning
I have also had one start at the wrong end then turn and head to the air cell
Thank you. I am trying not to worry but it's hard. He is periodically pushing against the external pip, and bits of egg shell have fallen off. The membrane is still intact. I very super gently used a q-tip to put some herbal (usnea) salve on the membrane but I am doing nothing else!

Thank you. I am trying not to worry but it's hard. He is periodically pushing against the external pip, and bits of egg shell have fallen off. The membrane is still intact. I very super gently used a q-tip to put some herbal (usnea) salve on the membrane but I am doing nothing else!
He may hatch faster then the book rules too
The rules are more for us to take time to let them do their thing
He knows when he is ready so if he comes sooner that’s okay too
Can he hear the new babies ? If so that’s great
Mom usually only gives 48 hours before she leaves any unhatched eggs so babies talking encourage the tiger to hurry up

He may hatch faster then the book rules too
The rules are more for us to take time to let them do their thing
He knows when he is ready so if he comes sooner that’s okay too
Can he hear the new babies ? If so that’s great
Mom usually only gives 48 hours before she leaves any unhatched eggs so babies talking encourage the tiger to hurry up
Wonderful, thank you. <3 He can hear the new babies (the cooler is right next to their brooder) so maybe that's why he's working so hard to hatch. :love

Hello @New duck mommy 2021 and everyone following our little journey! Just a quick update. Bobby has broken through the membrane and poked his beak out all the way. This is what it looks like now.
20231123_112957.jpg

So...today is Thanksgiving at my in-laws' house. We're supposed to be there at 2 pm. I don't want to leave Bobby! But I imagine it's not safe to travel with him? Or is it? My husband wants me to go, but I will not leave if Bobby is going to need my help with hatching. He's still actively pushing at the external pip site. Not sure what to do! :confused:

Also, is he still getting oxygen through his "allantois" or whatever it's called? I've read that even though he is pipped through membrane and eggshell, he may not be able to breathe in enough oxygen due to the cramped position of his body...anyone have any insight?

Thank you, all! <3

Hello @New duck mommy 2021 and everyone following our little journey! Just a quick update. Bobby has broken through the membrane and poked his beak out all the way. This is what it looks like now.
View attachment 3689904

So...today is Thanksgiving at my in-laws' house. We're supposed to be there at 2 pm. I don't want to leave Bobby! But I imagine it's not safe to travel with him? Or is it? My husband wants me to go, but I will not leave if Bobby is going to need my help with hatching. He's still actively pushing at the external pip site. Not sure what to do! :confused:

Also, is he still getting oxygen through his "allantois" or whatever it's called? I've read that even though he is pipped through membrane and eggshell, he may not be able to breathe in enough oxygen due to the cramped position of his body...anyone have any insight?

Thank you, all! <3
They don’t breath fully until everything is absorbed
I would up the humidity the membrane looks a little dry
He will poke and push lots over the next few days
But I have not heard of an external hit missing the air cell coming before 48 hours
I would go for dinner with the family
Not much you can do now till he is ready to hatch
Absorbing takes a long time
He will be active then rest then be active again
If he need help it won’t be before Saturday morning or later
I promise he is just fine if you go

Just another update! I candled him (without taking him out of his cooler) and somehow it looks like he ended up in the air cell and now is BREATHING in the air cell!! What on earth?! He is so active! Is this possible? @New duck mommy 2021 I think you said above that this has happened to one of your duck babies?

Also, I added more salve to the membrane where he externally pipped...is this good enough to keep the membrane moist? The hygrometer is reading 85%...it's really difficult to keep a constant humidity level in this cooler. Argh, never again...next time I will have an incubator! 😅
20231123_132130.jpg

Back
Top Bottom