Pics

Canadian Wind

Duck Crazy Canuck
Premium Feather Member
Jul 25, 2022
Eastern Ontario
My Coop
My Coop
Inspired by so many other blogs, I decided to make my own. I'll try to update daily.

First, the name. Falling Down Heights. Finally figured out a name for my little homestead. Because I fell down, again. And we live in the mountains.

Today's fall happened when I was giving the ducks their afternoon treat of cracked corn. Weather here in the hills of North Frontenac, On, has been weird and right now it's all muck over ice. You can see where this is going! And where I went! Smack on my butt, and partially into one of the plastic tubs I use as feeders. Oh well, I needed to replace it anyhow.

The ducks didn't even ask if I was okay! (I was, just needed to change my pants)

For those of you who don't know me yet, I'm Chris. I'm Canadian. And I raise Muscovy, a variety of domestic ducks (ie mallard derived), a bunch of bym chickens (plus two cochin bantams and a single, lonely OEGB hen who is all I have left after a fox attack this winter).

I ordered myself some Dark Brahma, more OEGB (Red Pyle and Mille Fleurs) and some Buff Chantecler. Hoping to get them late April or early May.

I also received a new incubator yesterday (MeeF) that I'm testing out with 24 bym chicken eggs, and ordered a Maticoopx. I had really bad luck last year with my Little Giant incubators, and will NEVER use them again!

Anything else you want/need to know about me you can find in my BYC Member's Interview, https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/byc-member-interview-canadian-wind.1591249/ !

I'm probably forgetting stuff and will get to them as I remember. I'm old(er), my memory is swiss cheese!

Lets see... Currently, I have:

14 chickens, consisting of:
2 Splash Cochin Banty hens (Salt and Pepper)
1 Silver Duckwing OEGB hen (unknamed)
1 Partridge Silkie roo (BonJovi)
10 BYM (2 roos, Big Red and unnamed Blue Cuckoo, 8 hens of various sizes, most unnamed)

10 domestic ducks
2 Magpies (duck Luna and drake Artemis <my daughters, can you tell?>)
1 Pekin mix drake (Snowball)
2 blue drakes (Smokey and Bandit)
1 Buff Orpington duck (Mochi)
4 BYM ducks (Matcha, Panic, Coco, Smudge)

17 Muscovy, not naming them all and I think I have 7 drakes and 10 ducks, ranging from black, chocolate, blue, and lilac, in various amounts of solid, pied, whitehead, magpie, barred, white chest. Most *do* have names.

8 rabbits (some meat, some pets), with three more coming in tonight

3 cats (Tesla, Skye, Picco)
1 dog (American Foxhound male Taiyo)

All of these are subject to change, lol!

10 BYM (2 roos, Big Red and unnamed Blue Cuckoo, 8 hens of various sizes, most unnamed)

10 domestic ducks

17 Muscovy, not naming them all and I think I have 7 drakes and 10 ducks, ranging from black, chocolate, blue, and lilac, in various amounts of solid, pied, whitehead, magpie, barred, white chest. Most *do* have names.

Your Favourites (breed and mix wise) from your current birds, and why :D ? (Obviously scovies because they're awesome)

10 domestic ducks

Nice assortment! 💖

I should! Or golf shoes for the summer, and those detachable spikes for the winter.
I had to get some for a winter running club like 8 years ago. They worked decent, but I didn't like having to put them on and off all the time since they couldn't be worn on concrete, which is my basements floor

Back
Top Bottom