A flock minus a rooster

Gingerj

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 18, 2013
We ended up with a rooster in our last batch of chicks, and have been looking to rehome him, because although he's a great rooster, we've got neighbor issues with his very-loud-crowing. I've found a taker for him, but I'm wondering what will happen once he leaves? What sort of effect will this have on our ladies, if any? He's been with them since hatching, back in Feb.

Anyone have any experience in going from a flock with a rooster to a flock without a rooster?

Each flock is different. Each chicken has its own personality and each flock has its own dynamics. Different people will have different results.

There may or may not be some shake-up to the pecking order. You probably won’t notice any but you might. One hen will be not only the top of the pecking order but will become the overall flock master. It will probably be the one that is on top of the pecking order to start with.

Those two different positions have different responsibilities. Don’t be surprised to see one hen break up fights and keep peace in the flock, look out for danger, or even mount another hen as if she is mating her, even touching vents. That’s dominant behavior, not something unnatural. You might not see any of that, you might see it all.

What is pretty sure is that the flock will fairly quickly settle into a new routine. The rooster may be missed a day or two or they might not even notice he is gone. They will do fine without a rooster. You will worry about it more than they will.

I had a rooster taken by a predator earlier this year. The dominant hen in the flock took over his responsiblities and they started squatting for ME again, instead of the rooster. That was the only difference I noticed - oh, and the hens are much happier without him!

What is pretty sure is that the flock will fairly quickly settle into a new routine. The rooster may be missed a day or two or they might not even notice he is gone. They will do fine without a rooster. You will worry about it more than they will.
I think that when a bird is taken from the flock, they do act lost for a day or two, but in my opinion it's more because there has been a change - not necessarily that they're missing a specific bird.

Back
Top Bottom