D‘Uccle roo for mixed flock?

Stephine

Crowing
7 Years
May 30, 2016
Sonoma
What do you think of getting a D‘Uccle roo for my mixed flock of full size hens. Would he be assertive enough to be fine with all the big ladies? I don’t need fertile eggs, just would like a roo that’s good and mellow with the hens and people. I miss the crowing and tidbitting and the pretty feathers of a rooster…

What do you think of getting a D‘Uccle roo for my mixed flock of full size hens. Would he be assertive enough to be fine with all the big ladies? I don’t need fertile eggs, just would like a roo that’s good and mellow with the hens and people. I miss the crowing and tidbitting and the pretty feathers of a rooster…
Yes, great idea they are beautiful. I say also buy a D’Uccle hen too. Just hatch a few and sell them

If you do get a D’Uccle he may get mean, if he does I found if you flip him on his back and hold him there you show him you more dominant than him and he quit flogging.
Agree with @BobStuart, he may get frustrated if he can’t actually mount the larger hens.

I missed having a rooster too so I decided to get a D'Uccle chick last spring. I figured that if it turned aggressive I would be able to handle it. He is with 4 standard size hens. I haven't seen him mating but he does all the other "roostery" things. He's a bit aggressive but I am able to deal with that with no problem, all I have to do is watch him when I'm in their yard, and always have either a bucket or a small broom just to stop him from flogging, after I have been there for a while, he stops his attempts. I never hit him, I just protect myself. He's like a mosquito, just a little bother but so cute because of his size

Back
Top Bottom