CaptainCrossthread

In the Brooder
May 31, 2023
Southwestern PA
I have a question about mixing a flock and also what to expect from a roo (or two).

Currently, we have 2 Embden geese (f). We also have 2 mallard drakes and a Rouen female, which wasn't intentional or ideal. We are going to expand next year. Flock size, pen, and water pools/pond. 2 more geese next year. Probably Embden or Buff. 2 runner ducks and maybe a magpie or blue. All are to be female.
I'd like to get a Brahma rooster. Partly because I think it's cool how big they are, they look amazing, seem to have a better overall behavior. I'd also like one as another layer of defense. We do have predator critters and red tails. I've got the crows coming around to keep watch, I'd like to have 2-3ft pretty boy to add to the chaos.

How well will these mix typically? The drakes get all hormonal when it's time. The geese are pretty chill. The one is kind of an idiot and can be a bit...dramatic. Shes our idiot though and we love her (she gives hugs when not trying to rip my boots apart at the seams). What are some expectation or precautions with having a flock mixed between three different birds? I have no experience with chickens. Just ducks and geese.

Also, but wait theres more. Our neighbors have a flock of chickens and roos that roam close to their pen. Theyre about 2 or 3 acres away. Theres some brush, weeds, and a corn/soy field through the summer months. How likey is it that their roos or mine may mix? So far theirs stay firmly put. Only occasionally venturing a bit into the field once is harvested and open.

The field has been harvested but there's the neighbors pen and barn at the far corner of the pic.

Attachments

• 20231029_181555.jpg
    20231029_181555.jpg
    533.4 KB · Views: 8
Following, I have turkeys, ducks and geese.
Would you get Brahma boy some chicken friends as well? Imho they all do better with at least one more of their kind and that keeps wandering away down.

I'm also confused as to whether or not you plan to get chicken hens. I wouldn't get a lone rooster.

I don't have geese, but I have ducks and chickens. I haven't had any issues with aggression between the two. They have plenty of space to get away from each other and multiple food/water stations. I have had issues with keeping two drakes, even though there were a dozen hens.

I have a pair of pilgrim geese, 12 duck-hens, and 2 chicken-hens. I keep my geese separate from my ducks and chickens. (they attack them if together)

I dont think a Rooster would protect anything except his own chicken hens if he had some.
And when they protect it is usually that they give their life.
A rooster with no chicken hens would likely annoy the ducks and may pick fights with ganders. IMO-bad idea

Back
Top Bottom