Silkie partridge

ajesus92

Songster
8 Years
Jul 22, 2013
Would a partridge silkie sit on a muscovy egg for 37 day or will they give up on the 21 day?

Most hens will sit till their eggs hatch and hens often hatch duck eggs. If I were to put Muscovy eggs under a hen knowing they would take extra time, I would take extra care to make sure she is eating well during incubation.

Having seen silkies try to incubate a large round stone and another hatch 2 goose eggs (32 day incubation period if memory serves me correctly) I'm betting on the Silkie to do the job and do her best to rear whatever comes out from under her warm body. I think what impels them to go the distance is the fact that Momma Silkie becomes aware of life stirring in the shells and that good folks is all it takes!
Neal, the Zooman

If your silkie is really broody, she probably will hatch your duck eggs. If she isn't broody, sticking eggs under here won't work. I saw probably because a young broody with no experience can fumble in the beginning till she and her hormones grow up.

Dear Drumstick Diva,
You have hit the nail on the head (!) with my earlier observation that one should try a hen with unimportant eggs before giving her the best right away as an initiation effort. A debutant is a debutant… I keep a log on all mine including how many eggs of what size is her maximum. Gee whiz, those index cards and leg bands are sooooo handy! Once these data are ascertained using a silkie as an incubator and child rearing mom is a snap! Right on, good lady, right on!
Stay well,
Neal, the Zooman

Back
Top Bottom