Pheasants & Chickens

Chicks5

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 19, 2014
Hello,
We have an 8' X 15' pheasant coop (not including the outdoor run), and plan to introduce our EasterEgger chickens soon. Our plan is to introduce the chickens in the coop in wire dog cage for at least four days. We have two heat lamps hanging from the rafters of the coop to keep the pheasants and chickens warm during the winter. Do you agree with the introduction plan we would like to use? I look forward to reading your advice.

All things sound wrong to me.Chickens can not be housed with or near pheasants.Chickens carry diseases that they can handle,but will kill a pheasant.Not saying it will,but it can!Providing heat for birds is not necessary,they produce down to keep them warm.If you provide heat,they do not produce the down and if your power goes out,they will surely die.Plus a big fire hazard with heat lamps.My friend just lost his coop from an electric wire not a heat lamp.
In N.H.,Tony.

Dear Tony,
As I am sure you know, we in the northeast are expected to have a very very cold winter this season and I am afraid of losing my flock to the cold (I knew by adding pheasants and chickens to our family would add more worry to my life). We did insulate the coop floor and walls (the coop is a Clear-Span one), but we were afraid it would not be enough to keep them warm. We also installed Pella windows (but not in our home) on each end of the coop to provide them with some natural light. Although I understand the concern of a possible fire, I am afraid my concerns for them override some logic. They will be able to come in and out of the coop (I have constructed a special entrance that is at a right angle preventing drafts from coming directly into the coop. (I can post some pictures if you would like). Some people have raised legitimate concerns regarding the transmission of disease from chickens to pheasants. I have contacted a company that sells poultry vaccines to have my chickens vaccinated against Coryza - I also asked if it would be safe to vaccinate my pheasants. Hopefully they will get back to me soon. I look forward to reading your additional comments.

Cheers,

Gail

Hi Gail,
I too am in the north east in N.H.I raise cockateils and diamond doves outside year round with no heat.Their entire pen is covered in poly and that's all.Birds do produce down to keep them warm.Remember this is the stuff inside our coats that keep us warm in the winter.Your birds will be much healthier raised outside with no heat.
In N.H.,Tony.

You can go ahead and stop trusting that vet. There is no functional vaccine for corzya. Period. It cannot be tested for, cured, or even stopped from being transmitted. Your vet doesn't really understand the treatment he/she is giving. The "vaccine" clearly states it will not stop the trasnmission of corzya only lesson the symptoms of infected birds. When it comes to birds you have to check a regular vet against a relaible source because they are typically out of their league.

Coryza isn't even the only or the worst disease to worry about being transmitted between them. Blackhead, MG, and MANY others are on the list too. Coryza blackhead and MG are sort of the terrible 3 though because they can't be tested for or cured, and once infected a bird will carry it for life and freely transmit it to any bird it contacts.

There is no safe way to keep chickens and gamebirds in contact with each other.

Here is a link to a "vaccine" for coryza. Vaccine is such an improper term for this medication it makes me mad.

Back
Top Bottom