Brooding outside from day 1

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
I just placed an order for 6 new chicks to arrive in August (I have no self control. I swore I wouldn't buy more).

August here is very hot, even at night. The average says 87 degrees during the day but most days the heat index is well above that. Evenings are also close to 80-85. I would love to skip the whole brooding in the garage mess all together and Im wondering if this setup would work. I want to put the day old babies in an outdoor cage directly on the ground. The cage I use doesn't have a bottom, so they will be on the actual grass/dirt. (Photo of the cage below. The plastic beneath it is not attached and I wouldn't need the heat lamp at all, just the brooder plate). I plan to attach our small prefab coop to the door for over night (and will shut them in at night too). The whole setup will be inside our very large run with all the other chickens so we can start see/don't touch immediately. I'll put a large piece of plywood on top of the cage to protect from the rain and shade them from the sun. Inside the small coop I will put the brooder plate (I can run electric out there) for overnight and in the beginning days when they may need that extra warmth. They will always have access to inside the coop during the day. I'll cover the floor of the coop with pine shavings for extra comfort. And again, all of this will be INSIDE a secure run, so im not concerned about the wire on the cage being a bit flimsy.

Is there anything about this idea that seems risky? My gut says this is totally fine but this will only be my 3rd time brooding and it's completely different than what Ive done in the past.

IMG_2703.jpeg

Sounds fine to me - I would plan for some shade if it happens to get very hot when the actual time comes, so the chicks can cool off too if needed.
I was thinking of covering the entire cage with shade. But maybe I’ll also add a little cave of sorts inside too.

They’re fine on the dirt from day 1 right? I don’t need to put shavings in there do I?

I was thinking of covering the entire cage with shade. But maybe I’ll also add a little cave of sorts inside too.

They’re fine on the dirt from day 1 right? I don’t need to put shavings in there do I?
You don't need shade over the whole thing necessarily, just make sure they have the option. Of course if it's unreasonably hot, shade is better than sun for sure!

I like having some shavings just because it gives them a softer surface to snuggle into, but it really depends on what litter you're using. In my case it's deep litter, and I build it up several inches under the brooder as that allows any rain water to quicklydrain away from the brooder.

You don't need shade over the whole thing necessarily, just make sure they have the option. Of course if it's unreasonably hot, shade is better than sun for sure!

I like having some shavings just because it gives them a softer surface to snuggle into, but it really depends on what litter you're using. In my case it's deep litter, and I build it up several inches under the brooder as that allows any rain water to quicklydrain away from the brooder.
that makes sense. I'll see how it goes. All easy adjustments to make when the time comes.

as alway thank you for your expertise!!

Back
Top Bottom