Natitude99

Natitude99

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 22, 2014
I have a question? My husband and I have eight ladies in our flock, there all about three years old. Next spring we plan to refresh our flock. My husband says we should be able to butcher and eat the original ladies. I say they are past their prime, he says they are fine. Whose right?

welcome-byc.gif

Laying hens never really have a "prime" for butchering, so that's kind of a moot point. Yes, they're older birds and wont' be anything like a grocery store chicken. You won't want to dry roast or grill them, but they make great stewing birds. Simmer in water with veggies and seasonings, pick the meat for soup/casseroles/dumplings/enchiladas. It will be flavorful, a little more tooth than a store bought bird but well worth it.

Sorry! The husband is right - although they would be 'chewy' if roasted, they will make fine stewing hens.

I butchered an older rooster and then I brined, injected him with marinade and smoked him. The meat had a really good flavor but he was a bit chewy. He would have made an awesome pot of chicken and dumplins.

Back
Top Bottom