Aggressive Rooster-Not aggressive with me The hens!

ThePRfan

Songster
5 Years
Sep 27, 2014
Joe,my soon to be old rooster is getting aggressive.He chases and pecks the hens.He doesn't even call when he has treats anymore.I'm understanding about 21 hens is a lot to handle for 1 rooster,but still is he grumpy of stress or is it just him becoming old aged?He also got a sore and the hens keep pecking it.Is he restraining them or something.It mostly happens around treat times,never breakfast.He is at least 4 or 5 years old.He's crow is weak and all,but he is a very good protector.Is time for him to retire already?

It does sound like he's not feeling so well. Having the hens peck his wound is probably painful and so he's agressive towards them, trying to protect himself. I would catch him. (You can easily just pick him up after dark.), I'd look him over real good for signs of parasites, and I'd treat that wound with some kind of topical ointment. i would probably keep him in a separate area with food and water and maybe an antibiotic in his drinking water for a while, until his wound looks better.

Good luck, whatever you decide,

Sharon

Back
Top Bottom