Chicks hatched from cracked eggs!

Achelois

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 22, 2013
I've had a bad week this week - husband let out cat, chick escaped, am nursing it in my shirt right now - but I wanted to share a story that started off badly but had an unexpectedly happy ending.

A couple of weeks ago, about two weeks into incubation, my husband - there's a pattern here, right? - let our two year old unsupervised around our hen who was brooding 9 eggs. He loves eggs, and loves chickens, so he rolled her right out of her box, eggs and all. The first my husband knew of it was of the two-year-old saying "Yuck eggy". I wasn't there to see it, thankfully, or I'd have had a fit.

Two eggs were cracked and bleeding badly. We discarded those. I took the rest and candled them. One had a detached air cell - I made the call to let that one go cold and to sleep, rather than risk a horrible hatching death, as I don't have an incubator up and running so no way of holding the air cell upright where it should be. Of the 6 remaining, one had an indentation and crack all the way around, another a slight crack and another one had a hairline crack I could see on candling. They'd all suffered being rolled out onto concrete.

My hen was pretty traumatised and didn't want to go back to her nest (who can blame her?) so we decided to give them to our neighbour, whose hen had been brooding for about five weeks.

Before we did, I melted a beeswax candle and used my finger to smoosh wax around the cracks (I didn't drip hot wax directly onto the shells!) in the hope it would keep bacteria out and prevent moisture loss and further damage.

I wasn't expecting much. I mishandled an egg while candling a previous clutch about day 11 and it exploded around hatch time.

But guess what? 100% hatched! ALL SIX! I couldn't believe it. There was only one slight anomaly which might be unrelated - one chick had the same toe on each foot slightly curled, but it's doing okay with chick shoes.

In hindsight, I have no idea whether I did the right thing or whether the eggs at that stage would have been fine anyway - and obviously the fact that they were well-developed helped - but it was an unexpected event that I had to deal with in the heat of the moment without any real idea of what I was doing.

So that's my happy story for today!

I have a question on why does my hen does not lay on her eggs? Its her first time laying eggs so i dont know if she doesn't know im kinda confused.Need a little guidance on it.

Last edited:
I have a question on why does my hen does not lay on her eggs? Its her first time laying eggs so i dont know if she doesn't know im kinda confused.Need a little guidance on it.
I'm not experienced with hens, but if you are asking why she isn't laying on them to try to hatch them, I do know that a hen has to 'be broody' to sit on eggs. I also know that some hens never go broody while some hens are often broody. From what I've gathered some breeds go broody more than others. Chickens don't just lay eggs and set about to hatch them. Unless you have a broody hen that won't happen. I have come to take it as equivelent to some woman have a motherly instinct and want to have children, others could care less. The broody hen experts can correct me, but that's the way I envision it in my head (though I am sure chemical balences and nature have a hand in that...lol)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/broody-hens

X2 with AmyLynn. The hen would only sit and stay on the eggs if she were broody. It is hormones within the hen that makes them want to sit on the eggs and hatch them. Hope you find the above article in the link usefull on broody hens. Also if she has just started laying she may still be a little immature to become broody yet. Although broody pullets are not unheard of. What breed is she?

Last edited:
X2 with AmyLynn. The hen would only sit and stay on the eggs if she were broody. It is hormones within the hen that makes them want to sit on the eggs and hatch them. Hope you find the above article in the link usefull on broody hens. Also if she has just started laying she may still be a little immature to become broody yet. Although broody pullets are not unheard of. What breed is she?[/quote]She is a batams

She is a Batams and just trying to hach these eggs

I'm a little confused!! Are you saying she is sitting on a clutch of eggs? Or that you would like her to sit and hatch some eggs for you?
what type of bantam is she?

She is a Batams and just trying to hach these eggs
Bantam is not a breed it referes to the miniturization of breed. Like having a doberman or a min-pin. Full size-small. A good amount of popular breeds of chickens also come in "bantam" such as bantam silkie or bantam cochin. It is the breed that determines personality traits and habits. So what yorkshire coop is asking is what is the breed. Bantam what?

Back
Top Bottom