HELP! Does anyone have a copy of the 1959 edition Better Homes and Gardens Holiday Cookbook?

AinaWGSD

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Sullivan, IL
Long story short, we lost our house in a fire last Wednesday. The dining room was completely destroyed and the kitchen was badly fire damaged (all the rest of the rooms were also badly damaged by heat and smoke). Most of the things we lost can be replaced, but my mother's copy of the 1959 edition Better Homes and Gardens Holiday Cookbook was completely destroyed. We used the dark fruitcake recipe from that book to make our fruitcakes each year. I had already made this year's fruitcakes, but they were also inedible after the fire. I can not find that recipe online after hours of searching, and since there was no insurance on the house at the time of the fire we don't really have the disposable income to replace the entire book. I was hoping maybe someone here might have a copy of the book lying around with their old cookbooks and would be able to email me a copy of the recipe. I'm hoping to make another batch of fruitcakes in time for Christmas this year.

I don't have that one, but have BHG New Cook Book from 1971. It may be the same recipe?

It has a Dark Fruitcake recipe using frozen OJ, molasses, raisins, mixed candied fruits and peels…..and spices, flour etc. Bake in a slow oven 275….store several weeks…

If this sounds like what you remember, I can post.

wee.gif
yesss.gif
Thank you SO MUCH. That is the exact recipe I was looking for! I actually signed up for pintrest the other day just so that I could search for it but hadn't had any luck so far.

It has been hard, much more so for my husband than me because he holds himself 100% responsible. Our furnace had gone out and we were waiting on it to be replaced (almost 2 whole weeks). He had made the decision the night before to bring a propane heater in from the garage to try to keep the house warm and the 20lb propane cylinder was what made the fire so devastating. We were extremely fortunate that no one was home at the time. DH had just gone to pick up the kids from his mom's house, my mom (who lives with us) was at work, and my dad (who usually comes over for dinner) hadn't come over yet that evening. I was at work and our dog had obedience class that night so he was with me, if he had been home he wouldn't have made it. The only loss of life was my mom's cat and while we are all very sad that he died that way, most of us agree that we won't really miss living with him (we just wish it meant he was living with someone else).

Thanks again for finding that recipe. I was really hoping someone here might have the book or be better at tracking things down online than I am. Now to write my grocery list so we can make fruitcake this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom