Using shrubs/trees in run to control water

ImNotYogi

Songster
5 Years
Dec 8, 2014
Eastern NC
Has anyone tried this instead of sand or something else? How did it work and, if it did, thenwhat plants did you use? I dont have my rub set up yet but its going to be about 30x30. I dont live in a rainy area overall but there are times where it'll rain for the better part of a week. Thanks for any input.

Make sure that your run is sloped properly for drainage. Shrubs are a good idea; trees will be too tall to manage with netting or wire covering the run. Chickens are jungle animals who appreciate shrubs and trees as cover, and the shade will be very welcome. Pick hardy native shrubs that are good looking and not toxic. Mary

Theres not much of a slope but theres some uneveness near the back. The area is directly in the sun so some kind of shaded area is necessary. Thank you for your input.

Trees.... to 'control water'?

Are you looking for some plant to 'suck' up the water....or prevent erosion....or...what?

If you have soil that doesn't allow for good drainage, shrubs or tree might help, if they will grow in poorly drained soil...depends on the soil.

More info might help someone to answer your question.

Trees.... to 'control water'?

Are you looking for some plant to 'suck' up the water....or prevent erosion....or...what?

If you have soil that doesn't allow for good drainage, shrubs or tree might help, if they will grow in poorly drained soil...depends on the soil.

More info might help someone to answer your question.

My initial thought was to "soak" up the water. I didnt consider erosion. The area seems to drain well as of now.

If it's draining well now, unless you have grass growing there that will disappear shortly after the chickens move in, doesn't sound as if you have any water control problems....tho planting some shrubs might not be a bad idea especially if you need some shade/cover.

If you're going to cover your run with stout wire mesh to deter predators, shade cloth might be much more effective solution than shrubs as you'll have to protect any plants from the chickens.

If it's draining well now, unless you have grass growing there that will disappear shortly after the chickens move in, doesn't sound as if you have any water control problems....tho planting some shrubs might not be a bad idea especially if you need some shade/cover.

If you're going to cover your run with stout wire mesh to deter predators, shade cloth might be much more effective solution than shrubs as you'll have to protect any plants from the chickens.

Theres currently no draining issue but it'll definitely be picked clean eventually. Im trying to do as much preventative maintenance as possible. At first I was going to cover the top of the run but after a talk with an ex coworker Im not as worried. He was telling me the hawks around here watch from trees and his hens are twice their size.

Quote: Look at the area surrounding your coop and run will be during a good hard rain.....is there slope to the surrounding land, buildings(including coop and possible hard roof of run) where roof runoff might be a problem, large impervious surface(patios, driveways,etc)? Dig a good chunk of vegetation (12" x 12" x 6" deep) out of the area where the run will be and see if it gathers any water and how fast it drains away into the soil. Those can help you determine what might happen after the run is scratched bare by the chooks. Swales and trenches can do a lot to divert rainwater runoff.

Hawks can try to take out a bird bigger than it is. It's also good to think about other predators getting into your run when you're not around.
But I maybe overbuilt my coop and run out of deep desire to avoid any predation. Tho my run would only slow down a stray dog or very hungry coyote, I have a lot of hawks around so wasn't taking any chances......my 'overbuild' was justified just 1 day after letting the chooks into the run when I saw this(the chooks were hiding under the coop being very quiet):

Back
Top Bottom