Waterer out of a trash bin!

boxcarboy

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2023
Hello BYC community! I haven't posted in a long while, but I am back again.

Me and my dad finished this new chicken waterer today. It looks a bit rachet, but I'm hoping it'll work well. He convinced me to use a large garbage bin instead of the smaller bucket I was originally thinking of, so hopefully it will last longer between being filled up.

In addition to the watering cups, we drilled a spigot into it so it can easily be emptied if needed.
We added an aluminum window screen to the lid so it can catch some rain as well. I'm not sure how well that will work yet, but we'll see haha. (He's a ham, so he's planning on using the extra for radio projects.)
All in all, the materials we bought were about $50 :D

What do you guys think? Has anyone else made a waterer out of these materials or is this uncharted territory? Haha. To me it doesn't seem to different to a barrel.
IMG_20240319_193929642.jpg
IMG_20240319_193937396.jpg

We added an aluminum window screen to the lid so it can catch some rain as well. I'm not sure how well that will work yet,
Very nice that will last awhile between fills, just something to watch out for. Sounds like a good idea and may work great, but only thing I would worry about is other wild birds pooing on the screen and washing into your clean water along with other contaminants.

Very nice that will last awhile between fills, just something to watch out for. Sounds like a good idea and may work great, but only thing I would worry about is other wild birds pooing on the screen and washing into your clean water along with other contaminants.
Thank you! I'll be watching out for that. If worse comes to worse I'll either get a new lid or cover the screen up haha.

Back
Top Bottom