56 Gallon waterer to prevent freezing in the winter

Pics
Everything i have read so far indicates that the dunks are safe for ALL animals.

From the manufacturer

Mosquito Dunks​

Kills Mosquitoes before They’re Old Enough to Bite!

The Mosquito Dunks are one of America’s best selling home owner mosquito control products. A product with BTI, a bacteria toxic only to mosquito larvae, that lasts 30 days and treats 100 square feet of surface water.

• Non-toxic to all other wildlife, pets, fish and humans.
  • Simply apply Mosquito Dunks to any standing water or water garden.
  • Kills within hours and lasts for 30 days or more.
  • Highly effective low impact product
That was my understanding too - I hadn’t ever seen it written down.
Feels like a great solution.

I shut down the 56 gallon waterer last night after they went to roost and hung 4 waterers with 10ml of corid in each one. Im also going to go to TSC and get some food grade DE and add it to their food and try and cover the cocci thing and worms at the same time.

I shut down the 56 gallon waterer last night after they went to roost and hung 4 waterers with 10ml of corid in each one. Im also going to go to TSC and get some food grade DE and add it to their food and try and cover the cocci thing and worms at the same time.
DE is not going to get rid of worms.
Are you sure they actually have worms?

DE is not going to get rid of worms.
Are you sure they actually have worms?
I am NOT sure they have worms. The bloody stools that i have seen along with diarrhea would most likely indicate cocci. I read a lot of stuff that claims DE will eradicate worms in your chickens. Is that just folk lore ?

Last edited:
Well, I guess this pretty much sums it up..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-13 at 1.32.46 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-09-13 at 1.32.46 PM.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 14
I have this one. It does keep the water from freezing but the metal gets mineral deposits on it making the water gets cloudy and forms floating white deposits.

Maybe an aquarium type heater?
No to aquarium heaters in that kinda set up. Just go on Amazon and there's a ton for exactly what you're doing. Aquarium heaters are not designed for what you're doing. Just asking for failure. I live in NH and I run a 250 watt donut looking heater in my 55 gallon barrel and recirculating pump plugged into a thermostat plug (heatit). If not your lines will freeze

I've just put in some large polyethylene containers for feed and water. I too am sick of refilling every day and trudging back and forth carrying stuff. The black container holds a whole 20kg sack of pellets and the water container is 50 litres. I just bought cup and feeder kits on Amazon and installed them.

I figure if we get a hard freeze this winter (last year we had -15°C and a lot of snow), then I'll insulate with bubble wrap and it's in a sheltered spot rather than exposed so that should be fine. Chucking hot water over the cup valves might be needed.

I didn't put in a drain as I never envisaged emptying and cleaning it out very often, given that it has a tight lid and it won't get contaminated by dirty beaks due to the cup valves. Well that's the theory, we shall see. Its only been there a few days so far.

I like your ingenuity, OP. But it looks like a lot of effort and wood sawing!

I made two feeders and two waterers and it cost me £66 in total. I did have one container already that I repurposed from being a storage feed bin.

Happy to send links if anyone wants, though it's for UK Amazon.
Nipple waters are hands down the way to go in winter over the cups. I wish that wasn't the case, cuz the girls like the cups more.

Back
Top Bottom