Crazy question of the year so far ?

bevis

Songster
9 Years
Apr 9, 2014
I have been here a little over 9 years and all that time with my chickens have been spent in Florida. I have now moved back to Kentucky where it gets cold. Boy its been a long time since i posted.
I have a 100 foot garden hose ran to the chicken house so i can clean and refill their waterers every day. The garden hose thing is not gong to work in the winter. I have 50 hens and they drink A lot of water a day. I do have a 100 foot extension cord ran out to the house but i would have to buy a fortune in heated waterers and you would still need to carry that amount of water out there every day no matter the weather. That seems like it wouldn't be that much fun.

So i had an idea about using one of these in there outside run with a floating heater in it for the winters.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ural-foam-stock-tanks-50-gal-capacity-2229927

I was thinking that 50 gallons of water would maybe last them a week. I could use a garden hose once a week to refill it. I have already ordered the bulkhead connector and ball valve to drain it for cleaning. Im certain i need to cover 90% of the top of it to keep them from standing on the sides and pooping in the water. This container is 12" tall.
Heres the crazy question, does anyone have any idea if a standard chicken can reach the bottom of that tub when the water gets low ?
I have the following breeds

Barnavelders
speckled sussex
Red orpingtons
Buff orpingtons
cream leg bars
black copper marans
lavender marans
white lace wyandotts
gold laced wyandotts

So, nothing on the small chicken side.

Thoughts ?

This might qualify for crazy question of the year.
Im here because Google thinks I'm crazy.

Last edited:
You’re not crazy :), I would have asked the same question! I don’t think they could reach the water when it gets low. I use a heated bucket that’s about 12 inches high and they can’t reach it past about 4 inches.
How many chickens do you have? They are beautiful breeds!

You’re not crazy :), I would have asked the same question! I don’t think they could reach the water when it gets low. I use a heated bucket that’s about 12 inches high and they can’t reach it past about 4 inches.
How many chickens do you have? They are beautiful breeds!
50. A mix of breeds for certain but all heritage breeds. Some may argue that the cream leg bars are not heritage but i think they have been accepted as heritage.
The 4" answer is very helpful. I may cut it down and have less water.
I use a goat through for a feeder and im not certain they can reach the bottom of it because its about 10" off the ground and its 4 3/4" deep. Its way better than having a bunch of feeders to refill.

Feeder - https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/double-tuf-hookover-goat-trough-9-qt-black

I put the board at an angle in the back to keep them from standing on the feeder and pooping in the food.

Attachments

• 20230821_151152.jpg
    20230821_151152.jpg
    700 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230821_151200.jpg
    20230821_151200.jpg
    677.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230821_151207.jpg
    20230821_151207.jpg
    676.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230821_151319.jpg
    20230821_151319.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 3
Oh wow! I only have four… In the past I used paint trays for their feed (the kind that attach onto kids’ painting easels). Perhaps a heated and covered kiddie pool (with holes cut for them to drink out of) would work?

Oh wow! I only have four… In the past I used paint trays for their feed (the kind that attach onto kids’ painting easels). Perhaps a heated and covered kiddie pool (with holes cut for them to drink out of) would work?
i like that idea and certainly cheaper than the $100 50 gallon rubbermaid container

Back
Top Bottom