any ideas? problem with nipple waterers

I've used 2 Quart size horizontal nipple waterers for grow out chicks from 3-4 weeks until about 6 weeks. After that they use a 5 gal horizontal nipple waterer in the run. I use two 5 gal buckets for up to 20 chickens, and they work fine. I have two different types of nipples, and they seem to prefer the orange ones, but will happily drink out of either. I've blocked line of sight so the low pecking order chickens can sneak a drink without getting run off the water.

One thing to consider, what are the dimensions of your tank? Is it a vertical cylinder? Could be that the pressure of the water at the nipple for the 30 gal vertical tank is significantly more than the pressure of the water on your 5 gallon waterers or especially the 2.5 gallon waterers. The weight of that much water pushing back on the nipple valve to keep it closed means the chickens have to exert more effort to peck open the valve and it probably closes more quickly. So they drink some, but don't fill up all the way because getting the water out is exhausting. Eventually they give up before they've gotten enough to drink.

To fix this problem but supply the same amount of water, consider using some type of rectangular bin or tub to supply the water. Or see if you can turn your 30 gallon cooler on its side? One example is below. That would give you the same volume of water (and therefore roughly the same time between refills), but layed out horizontally, so the weight of the water keeping the valve closed is comparable or less than the weight the chickens are used to from the 5 gallon or 2.5 gal bucket waterers. Keep the water height above the nipple the same as with the 2.5 gal waterers with the same type of horizontal nipple valves, and you should have happy chickens.

When I say bin, it could be anything with this type of configuration, I'd put the nipples about an inch or so above the bottom of the bin and mount it up on cinderblocks to be the right height above the ground for the chickens. Check the material the bin is made of to make sure it will not out-gass chemicals into the chicken's water. Polyethylene or HDPE is a better choice than some of the other plastics from this standpoint. Food grade white bins are a good choice because you know those won't out-gass. But these are the same critters that eat food that's been sitting in poop... I think I care more than they do.

1673561288762.png

Also here's the horizontal nipples that I've tried, they both work but it's easier for me to install the orange ones, and the chickens seem to prefer those. They look about the same to me, but I'm not a chicken. Hope you figure it out!

1673561417100.png

1673561459389.png

I've used 2 Quart size horizontal nipple waterers for grow out chicks from 3-4 weeks until about 6 weeks. After that they use a 5 gal horizontal nipple waterer in the run. I use two 5 gal buckets for up to 20 chickens, and they work fine. I have two different types of nipples, and they seem to prefer the orange ones, but will happily drink out of either. I've blocked line of sight so the low pecking order chickens can sneak a drink without getting run off the water.

One thing to consider, what are the dimensions of your tank? Is it a vertical cylinder? Could be that the pressure of the water at the nipple for the 30 gal vertical tank is significantly more than the pressure of the water on your 5 gallon waterers or especially the 2.5 gallon waterers. The weight of that much water pushing back on the nipple valve to keep it closed means the chickens have to exert more effort to peck open the valve and it probably closes more quickly. So they drink some, but don't fill up all the way because getting the water out is exhausting. Eventually they give up before they've gotten enough to drink.

To fix this problem but supply the same amount of water, consider using some type of rectangular bin or tub to supply the water. Or see if you can turn your 30 gallon cooler on its side? One example is below. That would give you the same volume of water (and therefore roughly the same time between refills), but layed out horizontally, so the weight of the water keeping the valve closed is comparable or less than the weight the chickens are used to from the 5 gallon or 2.5 gal bucket waterers. Keep the water height above the nipple the same as with the 2.5 gal waterers with the same type of horizontal nipple valves, and you should have happy chickens.

When I say bin, it could be anything with this type of configuration, I'd put the nipples about an inch or so above the bottom of the bin and mount it up on cinderblocks to be the right height above the ground for the chickens. Check the material the bin is made of to make sure it will not out-gass chemicals into the chicken's water. Polyethylene or HDPE is a better choice than some of the other plastics from this standpoint. Food grade white bins are a good choice because you know those won't out-gass. But these are the same critters that eat food that's been sitting in poop... I think I care more than they do.

View attachment 3373715

Also here's the horizontal nipples that I've tried, they both work but it's easier for me to install the orange ones, and the chickens seem to prefer those. They look about the same to me, but I'm not a chicken. Hope you figure it out!

View attachment 3373716

View attachment 3373717
Also I forgot to mention - for bins or lids that fit tightly, especially for chicks, I put a small almost pin hole right up near the top of the lid so the air can go in and the water can go out easily. My 5 gal bucket lids aren't air tight so I've not bothered with those, and my other chicken carers are always taking them off and on and tightening them up really tight, so I think I already have air leakage in those usually.

Darn bratty chickens
I provide 24/7 access to fresh clean water via 5 gallon horizontal nipples and clean the buckets out completely at least once a month. And yet, the first time we get torrential rain and the first time the coop actually get wet in months, they are right there drinking from the muddy puddle they dug into the floor of the run. After they stomp in the water first with their poopy feet!

Chickens!

View attachment 3373715

View attachment 3373716

View attachment 3373717
I am using those rentacoop ones.

My bin is a 30 gal trash barrel. The water is low right now so don't think any more pressure but maybe this is the problem. I haven't seen them try and any time I press it they drink what came out but never try to get more out. The cover is just partially sitting on the top so air can get in no problem.

Here are what I use for water. The trash can is what they don't use, the little one they use.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230112-180233.png
    Screenshot_20230112-180233.png
    393.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20230112-180322.png
    Screenshot_20230112-180322.png
    485.5 KB · Views: 14
I am using those rentacoop ones.

My bin is a 30 gal trash barrel. The water is low right now so don't think any more pressure but maybe this is the problem. I haven't seen them try and any time I press it they drink what came out but never try to get more out. The cover is just partially sitting on the top so air can get in no problem.
Well that's confusing for sure. Have you tried putting a camera on them to see if they're drinking when you're not around?

We have two treadle feeders that all my chickens use and 24/7 feed access. Yet in the morning, when I put 4 scoops of feed in dog bowl, it's the most exciting thing they've ever, ever, seen and they must rush to eat it. Never mind that the exact same food is sitting in the treadle feeders and they can eat it all day. Maybe your chickens are doing something similar, and are just waiting for you to push the button for the water to come out.

What is the material the trash barrel is made of? I'm assuming it's plastic and doesn't make scary sounds when you peck it? They might have just gotten used to it being hard to peck open and not realized it isn't hard to do any more.

no tight lid. It is a trash barrel and the lid is loose but also has a hole in the top for the plug for the heater in it so no problem with water flow. I have checked all the nipples and they are working just as easy as the other one.
Well, shucks. I'm out of ideas.

Back
Top Bottom