Water for winter?

Ive thought about this, but ive heard really mixed reviews on the heater base.
Just about everything now days has mixed reviews. I read reviews, but I don't live by them. Sometimes what someone else gives a bad review over isn't a concern to me or wouldn't cause me to not buy the product. I did buy a name brand version and not the no name knock-offs. Hopefully it will work for me.

I haven't used the base yet. I got it after last winter. Last year I had a heated plastic water. It seemed to heat ok, but the cord broke off after less than one winter season. Winter before, I had a heated nipple waterer. Only half the chickens would drink from it. The other half never caught on to how to use the nipple

I have 2 of these from Premier1 and I LOVE them:

Screenshot_20230904_141339_Chrome.jpg

edit: I just read in your OP that your chickens won't use the nipple waterer...so this probably wouldn't work for your situation, but I'm a believer that chickens will learn to use any kind of feeder or waterer if other options are removed (some people are able to do this and others aren't - not right or wrong, just is what it is). Anyway, these waterers are great for winter and summer if your chickens are trained to use nipple waterers. :)

View attachment 3628002
edit: I just read in your OP that your chickens won't use the nipple waterer...so this probably wouldn't work for your situation, but I'm a believer that chickens will learn to use any kind of feeder or waterer if other options are removed (some people are able to do this and others aren't - not right or wrong, just is what it is). Anyway, these waterers are great for winter and summer if your chickens are trained to use nipple waterers. :)
Mine is kinda like that I removed all other waterers but they didnt drink for 2 days and i gave the other waterers back

View attachment 3628002
This is what we use. We really like them. We have never had a problem with our chickens (several batches of them) refusing to use them. Train them to use them when there are no temperature extremes (whether too hot or too cold). I think all chickens would eventually learn to drink from them (maybe I should say most, but I really do think all should be able to).

Welll, like the examples above, it's just used in a container, and put a heater under it, BOOM!
I'm assuming then that you haven't actually tested it. A heated base only heats the water inside the body of the waterer. Any water in the cups should freeze. I don't see any explanation on how the interior mechanism of these cups differ from other cup waterers, which DO freeze in winter and cannot be used.

Horizontal nipples also freeze even when the waterer is heated internally due to the fact that that most of the trigger mechanism sits outside of the body of the waterer.

Back
Top Bottom