should i remove the roost in the run when the weather is freezing?

NYcue

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 3, 2012
I have an enclosed secured run with a roost. I also have a roost in the coop house. The temperature where i live has begun to drop to below 32 degrees at night but my 4 barred rocks still prefer to sleep in the roost outside. Should i remove the roost in the run to force them to sleep in the coop? For the last 2 years... i did that and they do go in the coop house but i was wondering if it's necessary. Thank you

Is your run completely predator proof? Skirt around the bottom? Closed in around all 4 sides with hardware cloth and not chicken wire? Hardware cloth screwed securely, not stapled? If all of these answers are yes, I'd let them sleep where they want. If not, I'd put them in at night, or take down the roost to force them in at night... then close the coop door every night to keep them safe from predators.

Wonders, as usual, why they prefer sleeping outside?

Do you have plenty of space in coop with plenty of comfortable roosting length?

Are there any pests in the coop/roost area...like mites maybe?
Check the roosts well after dark by wiping a damp white paper towel across the underside of the roost, smears of red on towel may indicate a northern fowl mite population that is feeding off your choks at night

Last edited:
Being a predator proof run definitely plays a role, sometimes birds just like being outside, they don't understand if their are predator concerns. I think basing on whether the run is safe and/or your desire to move them will decide on what to do with the roost.

I had a trio that spent 2 winters in a tree about 20 feet above the coop. Horrible wind, rain, snow, sub freezing weather, they did just fine. But if you're concerned and want them to sleep in the coop, simply remove the roost. They'll likely adjust to sleeping inside soon and you can replace the roost for use during the day.

Thanks guys for the reply... the coop/run is completely secure. I have many predators around and they have tried and failed to get to the girls. I think this year I might let them choose for themselves. Also... the coop is plenty big for them and I double checked for any issues like mites and such... they just seem to prefer to be outside. They are barred rocks so they are hardy birds as well... we'll see. Thanks again for all the replies and suggestions!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom