How cold is too cold

Jwebb35

Chirping
Mar 30, 2022
Central IN
Hi everyone!

I have an Easter egger, two barred rocks, and two australorps.. They have a small coop with roosting bars for them.. They also have a large covered run that I wrapped in plastic for this winter. They love sleeping on top of their coop instead of inside of it. That has not been an issue since the run is completely enclosed and we've had a mild winter so far.

It's getting down to 23 tonight.. do I need to gently shove them into their coop roosting bars where will they be okay still outside? The run is in plastic so it's not windy.. but it will definitely feel cold unless they huddle together in the coop.

Just a long way to ask how cold is too cold for chickens to sleep outside. I don't want their combs or waddles to get frostbite..

Thank you!!! ♥️♥️

How small is the coop(dimensions and pics would help here)...
...and does it have good ventilation?

Your run is completely enclosed...again ventilation is important.

They also have a large covered run that I wrapped in plastic for this winter. They love sleeping on top of their coop instead of inside of it. That has not been an issue since the run is completely enclosed and we've had a mild winter so far.

It's getting down to 23 tonight.. do I need to gently shove them into their coop roosting bars where will they be okay still outside? The run is in plastic so it's not windy.. but it will definitely feel cold unless they huddle together in the coop.

It sounds like the run is actually functioning as a large coop (sheltered place, out of the weather.)

Forcing them into the coop would probably not make much difference.

Just a long way to ask how cold is too cold for chickens to sleep outside. I don't want their combs or waddles to get frostbite..
Inside the coop would probably be a little bit warmer, but much more humid (because of chickens breathing and pooping all night in a small space).

The humidity can make frostbite more likely, even if the temperature inside is a little bit warmer. So letting them sleep in the run may actually be better for avoiding frostbite.

Back
Top Bottom