I think my duck got water in his nostril/lungs?

maschickens

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 3, 2014
So, we have 2 peking ducks and last night got 2 anacona ducks from my parents. We let them all out this morning, and the two new ducks went straight to our little pond and began swimming their hearts out. The male duck dove down deep into the water at one point but seemed to be fine, until abou 15 minutes later when I checked on him and he was floating near lifeless in the water. We initially thought that maybe the water was just too cold and that he was in shock or something. However, when I started blow drying him water started dripped out of his nostril. At one point he laid his head over and we thought he was dead...but, he's still hanging in there, and at times seems to be improving. He is fighting for sure. Question is...anyone have any idea what this may be, and is there something we can do to help this little guy? Thank you in advance for any advice.

How old are they? It sounds like he got water logged. I've heard of it happening in ducklings but I'm sure it could happen I adults as well. I would give him some poultry vitamins and keep him warm and confined. I hope he pulls through.

Last edited:
He's about 8 months old. I have him in a dry towel under a heat lamp....he's moving his head more trying to keep it leaned back. Do you know if thats a good or bad sign??? Thanks!

Poor guy...he may be holding his neck like that to try to breathe, it's a common reflex to attempt to make the airway as straight as possible. He's definitely a fighter. Please keep us posted, I hope he's okay!

Were the Pekins around? I am concerned someone tried to drown him.

Keeping him warm is good, I don't know if straightening the neck and pointing his head down would help at this point. If there is water in his ears, that may be problematic. I would do what you are doing, and also give vitamins with electrolytes.

How did things turn out?
We had a juvenile duck get trapped in a 5 gallon bucket of water one spring she became waterlogged and died in my arms. It was very sad. We no longer use 5 gallon buckets until everyone is full size.

Unfortunately he passed a couple hours later : ( I miss him so much. Thanks everyone for trying to help. He definitely fought as hard as he could. RIP Tex!

Unfortunately he passed a couple hours later : ( I miss him so much. Thanks everyone for trying to help. He definitely fought as hard as he could. RIP Tex!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom