What do you put fermented feed IN?

TheFreemanFarm

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 17, 2014
I have a flock of 25 chicks and I've been fermenting their food from day one- thanks to you guys!! I currently feed them in the little trough style feeder twice a day and they clean it out completely.

However, this won't work much longer- they're growing exponentially and love standing on/in the feed and crapping all over-- as chickens do! So, since a hanging feeder won't work what do you guys use? Pics please! I'm thinking we'll need to build some sort of trough?

I bought a piece of plastic guttering and cut it into 3+ foot lengths and use one for each flock.
You could also use quart or larger type cage cups.

Last edited:
I have a flock of 25 chicks and I've been fermenting their food from day one- thanks to you guys!! I currently feed them in the little trough style feeder twice a day and they clean it out completely.

However, this won't work much longer- they're growing exponentially and love standing on/in the feed and crapping all over-- as chickens do! So, since a hanging feeder won't work what do you guys use? Pics please! I'm thinking we'll need to build some sort of trough?
I was just wondering this same thing. Have you figured anything out?

I use plastic dog bowls. And yes they will stand in it. I think they like the feel of it squishing between their toes. One of my favorite feeding dishes is a plastic chip and dip container. It's about 14" in diameter, with an outside ring for the chips, and a well in the middle for the dip. Dollar store specialty.

Back
Top Bottom