What do you put fermented feed IN?

I used the bottom of two feeders I purchased at Walmart, turn the bottom one way and it functions as a waterer, the other way it functions (not very well) as a feeder. It probably has a similar shape to the chips and dip bowl described above. I pile the fermented feed in a donut shape in the outside circle, leaving the inside circle empty but would then fill a cereal bowl with fermented feed and put it in the center to carry it out to the chicken tractor, a feeder bottom and a cereal bowl in each hand. It is a mad scramble trying to place all four containers as the chickens swarm them but even if they spills some on the grass, they eat it all up. When I come back with the full waterers I usually brought the bucket of FF and refilled the various bowls before heading out the door to work. I repeat the whole thing again in early afternoon when I return. If I had to be away longer, I'd make sure to put a few feeders of un-fermented feed out there too because I can't find a way to put a days supply for hungry, growing meat chickens. It is sloppy and requires more work than feeding traditional crumbles or pellets, but I was impressed by the reasons given to try it and this is what works best for me.

I've been trying to figure out a feeder for my 2 week old chicks and their FF. They LOVE it, but one of my gals has a filthy face all the time now. She's an EE, has a crossed beak (hasn't hindered her eating or drinking yet) and her little under eye beards get matted with feed when she eats. This is the feeder that I'm using currently. I tried to take the top off so it'd just be an open dish but they all stood in it while eating.

Here's lil dirty faced, silly beaked, Octavia. She's my favorite.

Should I be concerned with her getting yuck faced? Or just let it roll? Thanks all! :)

Back
Top Bottom