Something is wrong with my chickens foot!

Smokey2201

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 12, 2014
My chicken can't walk on her foot and I don't know why. Her foot is hard and between her knuckles it is swollen and her other foot is fine. Does anyone know what is wrong with it?

Is there any dark spot on the bottom of the footpad If not, then mycoplasma synoviae or MS could be a possibility. That is a respiratory disease that also affects the joints. Tylan may help treat it, but I would get the chicken tested for sure. Other possibilities would be other bacterial or viral infection of the foot.

The underside of her foot is fine but her toes are swollen and the tips are black! The middle one was bleeding. What is wrong with her foot?

She looks like she has an abcess or something in the foot/between the toes. is it possible for you to see if it can be drained?

I'd try some internal antibiotics. I don't know which one though. I agree with the others that this doesn't look like bumblefoot, which is what I thought it might be at first. I also think you should try and drain it, then soak it in epsom salt water after being lanced.

Back
Top Bottom