Help! Don't know what this is!

Krazyhenhouse

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 18, 2015
Bay Area, CA
I was checking out my babies last night and came across this....

Any thoughts on what this is and how I fix it???
Thank you!

It's hard to see, but looks like a possible prolapse. You'll want to try to separate it so the other chicks can't peck at it and you can try to put some honey on it. You can soak it's bottom in a warm epson salt bath, but make sure to dry it very, very well.

Is there poop stuck to it? If it is a prolapse you'll want to keep it very clean and try to push it in. If it doesn't pop back in just keep putting on honey until the swelling is down enough that you can try pushing it in again.

If it's not a prolapse...it could just be a bit of irritation. Sometimes chicks get a pasty butt. You'll want to gently glean it in some warm water and again make sure they're dried very well. If it is poop it could just be making the vent a little raw. Keep an eye that no one pecks it.

Does the chick seem healthy and alert otherwise?

The chick seems happy and healthy otherwise and is pooping like normal. I used a warm washcloth to wipe it and used some hydrogen peroxide to wipe the area.
Thank you for the advice!!!

That chick doesn't look to be more than 2 weeks at most.

Hydrogen peroxide is pretty harsh to tender skin, just use warm water.

Keep an eye on it...compare it the other chicks.

If she gets a lot of build up you can use a tiny drop of dawn soap in the water. After you clean her you can put a small bit of oil there to help prevent poo from sticking on those soft baby feathers.

Back
Top Bottom