Ever get "no seeums" with your baby chicks?

Well, we're coming up on about four weeks on Wednesday and no further signs of the no-seeums. It quit a couple days after I started the thread. I am going to chalk it up to:
  1. They had some sort of tiny bug on them and it ran its course.
  2. For whatever reason, I had an allergic reaction to the down/dander the first couple of days.
  3. Having feed mixed with water for a "mash" for the first few days brought something into the screened in porch.
  4. It's Florida. Bugs happen.
All 36 are healthy as can be, eating and pooping up a storm. Which brings me to a new question:

We're having some cold nights right now (high 40s, daytime high of 70), with heavy dew in the mornings that doesn't burn off until at least 10 or so. As such, I'll need to keep them in the brooder longer than I thought to get their full feathers on prior to moving them to a tractor in the yard. I'm estimating that to be at about another week and a half- five week mark. I thought they'd get feathers faster than they'd grow in size.
IMG_1332.jpeg

IMG_1333.jpeg

The brooder currently allows for about .75 sqft per bird. I know that's small, but there's not much I can do about it at this point except either change or continually add bedding. There's not room on the screened in patio for a second brooder or to expand this one. I have always been the type that in the brooder, I scoop out as much as possible, then put all fresh in but recently read not to do that as you may stir up coccidiosis. I don't see how that's different than them scratching around.

Options:
  1. Add fresh bedding on top of old. Given the brooder is 3/4" plywood with a plywood floor, it'll be about 4" deep in a week or so. Which will lead to more shavings kicked into waterer and feeders. Not really a fan of that.
  2. Completely change it out two more times. Which I don't mind.
  3. Other suggestion?

Well, we're coming up on about four weeks on Wednesday and no further signs of the no-seeums. It quit a couple days after I started the thread. I am going to chalk it up to:
  1. They had some sort of tiny bug on them and it ran its course.
  2. For whatever reason, I had an allergic reaction to the down/dander the first couple of days.
  3. Having feed mixed with water for a "mash" for the first few days brought something into the screened in porch.
  4. It's Florida. Bugs happen.
All 36 are healthy as can be, eating and pooping up a storm. Which brings me to a new question:

We're having some cold nights right now (high 40s, daytime high of 70), with heavy dew in the mornings that doesn't burn off until at least 10 or so. As such, I'll need to keep them in the brooder longer than I thought to get their full feathers on prior to moving them to a tractor in the yard. I'm estimating that to be at about another week and a half- five week mark. I thought they'd get feathers faster than they'd grow in size.
View attachment 3715818

View attachment 3715819
The brooder currently allows for about .75 sqft per bird. I know that's small, but there's not much I can do about it at this point except either change or continually add bedding. There's not room on the screened in patio for a second brooder or to expand this one. I have always been the type that in the brooder, I scoop out as much as possible, then put all fresh in but recently read not to do that as you may stir up coccidiosis. I don't see how that's different than them scratching around.

Options:
  1. Add fresh bedding on top of old. Given the brooder is 3/4" plywood with a plywood floor, it'll be about 4" deep in a week or so. Which will lead to more shavings kicked into waterer and feeders. Not really a fan of that.
  2. Completely change it out two more times. Which I don't mind.
  3. Other suggestion?
Great on the no see ums and thanks for the update!

I think the brooder size is fine as long as everybody is getting along. I think just cleaning out the brooder a few more times is fine vs adding bedding, too much crud in the dust underneath. If you aren't having any issues, then stick to your practice. Cute babies! ❤

Thx. Yeah, everyone seems to get along. Every so often someone will flap up, “I’m a DINOSAUR!" and then someone else will chest bump him and yell "I'M A DINOSAUR!" an that'll go on for about 5 seconds and then they just go on their way.

I'll plan to clean it out and replace bedding. I hope they feather out pretty quickly. I'd like to get them moved out by the start of week six at least. Granted, the bedding will just go in the compost bin, but would still rather not spend a ton on it.

Back
Top Bottom