Accommodating different aged chicks

KittieChick

Songster
9 Years
May 23, 2014
Wake Forest, NC
I have a Brinsea Eco brooder and an infra red heat bulb. Just wondering how you all balance hatches where the chicks are 1-2 weeks apart in age.

Also, will the Eco brooder be up to the task, or do I need to add the heat lamp as well?

Depends on how many chicks you have. I have used both, but a decent number of chicks quickly outgrows the Brinsea brooder. Once it is in its highest position and not large enough I switch over to the lamp. The brooder is large enough the chicks can both be in the heat or move out of it. as they wish.

I used a homemade heat plate and put blocks under one end to accommodate the larger chicks.

But...I ended up having to move the larger chicks to another brooder because they picked on the littler ones, tho they were big enough not to need heat...I just gave them a huddle box to cuddle in at night.

Several years back when chicken math struck, I ended up with two batches of chicks several weeks apart. I constructed a brooder made out of two card board appliance boxes taped together with a common screened wall so air could circulate and all the chicks would be raised knowing each other.

On one side I had the 250 watt infra red, and the other side had a 100 watt incandescent bulb.
It worked out perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom