Different age chicks together

Fluff Queen

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2024
I recently picked up 7 chicks from the local feed store and they are about a week old now. I was hoping to pick up 4 more next week as that's when they are getting their next shipment of bantams in. I was wondering if the age and size difference between the chicks matters? The current chicks I have in the brooder are also bantams so they will not be huge. Will I have to set up another brooder or will they be able to all be in the same brooder together?

I recently picked up 7 chicks from the local feed store and they are about a week old now. I was hoping to pick up 4 more next week as that's when they are getting their next shipment of bantams in. I was wondering if the age and size difference between the chicks matters? The current chicks I have in the brooder are also bantams so they will not be huge. Will I have to set up another brooder or will they be able to all be in the same brooder together?

I would probably set up another brooder for the first few days, so the new ones can get over being shipped and get good at running around.

After a few days, I would probably try to combine them: maybe put one big chick in with the little ones, then another a few hours later, and continue until you have all the chicks together over a 2-3 day period. Keep an eye out for picking or bullying problems, but if the brooder is big enough they will probably be fine together. Combining them at that age will almost certainly be easier than trying to integrate them a few months later.

I would keep them separated long enough to make sure the new 1s aren't sickly.....after you ensure health within each bunch..... Combine...and see how how they act towards each other. If a few of them are being picked on give them their own brooder. I have 3 hens I separated because they were weaker, smaller and being bullied. Now they look out for each other and always stick together. Now they free range and are happy and healthy In their own clique

Back
Top Bottom