SUNFLOWER SEEDS

BOOBOO-1

Hatching
Jan 28, 2015
I have grown some sunflowers over summer and have 2 varieties. One has the blackish shelled seeds and the other has white shelled seeds. Does anyone know whether I am able to feed my chickens the white shelled variety. Thanks in advance for any help.

Nothing bad in the white or striped sun flower seeds. They just have less oil then the black ones. The black ones are the ones used for oil production and are usually referred to here as BOSS or Black Oil Sunflower Seeds.

The black sunflower seed are called Black Oil Sunflower Seeds, There ok to use as a treat.
The other ones your describing are Striped Sunflower Seeds, These sunflower seeds should be left for "wild" birds. They are high in hard to digest fibers that chicken don't need.

Both types of sunflower seeds can vary in proteins but most are only about 16% protein, but depending on your soil and if you fertilized them or not the nutritional level could be quite a bit lower.

I completely agree with Chris09. The stripped sunflower seeds are difficult, if not impossible, for chickens to fully digest. If left to settle in their crops, can cause a nasty case of sour crop. Stick with the BOSS and steer clear of the others

Back
Top Bottom