Dead Hen and crazy neighbor threatening to kill my chickens!!

RaisinAFlock

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 2, 2014
My hen died sometime early this morning. I do not believe she was sick enough to be the cause of her death, I observed mild coughing at the roost night time the night before she died. She laid her last egg in the nest, next to a broody hen currently laying on my first nest that's going to hatch. We found her on the coop floor dead and still warm with no signs of anything. We took pictures and buried her. We think our neighbor may have poisoned her with what we have no idea at all. Today he threatened me again the first time was that his dogs were sick all the time from my chickens, this time he claimed two hens almost made him crash his motorcycle going 5-10 mph in our shared driveway, saw me standing in my chicken run, and threatened I'd better contain my chickens or he was going to do something about it himself insinuating he was going to kill my chickens. I called 911 and filed a police report. I was instructed to file a anti harrasement order against him so that if he keeps it up or if something happens to a chicken he will be arrested. How was your day?

My hen died sometime early this morning. I do not believe she was sick enough to be the cause of her death, I observed mild coughing at the roost night time the night before she died. She laid her last egg in the nest, next to a broody hen currently laying on my first nest that's going to hatch. We found her on the coop floor dead and still warm with no signs of anything. We took pictures and buried her. We think our neighbor may have poisoned her with what we have no idea at all. Today he threatened me again the first time was that his dogs were sick all the time from my chickens, this time he claimed two hens almost made him crash his motorcycle going 5-10 mph in our shared driveway, saw me standing in my chicken run, and threatened I'd better contain my chickens or he was going to do something about it himself insinuating he was going to kill my chickens. I called 911 and filed a police report. I was instructed to file a anti harrasement order against him so that if he keeps it up or if something happens to a chicken he will be arrested. How was your day?

Wow
hugs.gif
So sorry about the hen and all the drama. I would definitely keep the chickens contained if that is the law there. I am thankful to have good neighbors. Is moving an option for you? Hate to see him "win", but the lack of stress on you would make you the winner. Did you file the report (I hope)?

There is no laws here regarding containing chickens, to my knowledge, but I live on a Indian reservation (and I'm going to call the tribe and ask more questions) and not in city limits, so I'm allowed to keep roosters, and as many birds I can safely manage, he also is not the property owner and has absolutely no say or right according to state law to control where my chickens can roam also there is a right to farm law that protects me from neighbors like him complaining about odor, noise, farm equipment stored outdoors, visual clutter etc. On top of this I carry a renters insurance policy. He is a tenant of my landlord and the law reads only property owners have rights. I have permission by the property owner to have chickens here and a garden here and just because part of my yard is fenced and part my yard is unfenced doesn't mean my chickens can't use my garden or parts of my yard that isn't fenced just because it sits across the shared driveway, I also have fully fenced pasture right next to my garden but the property line is split in half through the center of the pasture and the neighbor on the other side usually keeps his gate wide open because his free ranging chickens also like to forage and he actually owns 1/2 of the pasture, its not fenced innhalf, the landlords won't pay to fence, he won't pay to fence it and we can't afford 1 acre of fencing. We already have enough farm related expenses as it is.

I am stuck here for at least another 6 months, according to my lease agreement, and I am really not sure if moving away is the right idea because I've been in this situation before with a neighbor a few years ago and moving away only escalated his violence and crime against me. Your not going to believe this but he just recently set a house on fire right next door to my old house and killed my friends. Over a ongoing dispute regarding property theft occurring when we were moving out. The deaths were ruled accidental by fire but the cause is unknown due to the inferno force of the fire. This means my old neighbor will get away with murder. This neighbor also stalked, survalenced (video camera over all parts of my backyard, followed me around the neighborhood with a drone camera, followed me to the community center, stalked and harrased me, incouraged his children to bully others, and harrased me for 3 years, I suffered from PTSD and had to see a councleor I also suffer from anxiety and stress, have recent chest pain (likely anxiety) due to my circumstances.

Him and his teenage son also murdered animals, and set a house fire in the neighborhood when my husband first bought the house.

He also put broken glass in the community garden, sharp shards of glass, cut the brake lines on my husbands truck, killed our cat, ruined our gardens, threatened our friends, builled them, called them names, put our motorhome on craigslist, stole our property, incouraged others to do the same, trespassed onto our property when we were not home, flew his drone over our house while we were outside working, him and his son would make nasty comments about me when I worked in the garden or greenhouse.

Last edited:
I am not about to let him "win" either. I will be having him arrested after a order of harrasement is in place. If any chickens are found dead of unknown causes I will be reporting it to the sheriifs office.

By the way, my old neighbor was never ever charged with a crime of any kind, for any of the things he did, despite them all being 911 reported and contained in written police reports.

I do however have a hard time sleeping at night, I have frequent nightmares, wake up, can't get back to sleep, always looking out my bedroom window at the chicken coop, to make sure its not on fire etc etc, but unfortunately that's from anxiety and stress regarding him harming my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom