My little chicks are looking better

niellyc

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 9, 2015
Hey everyone!

Thanks to everyone's help my little chicks are looking much better and seem much happier
1f60a.png
most of their feathers have grown back in.

I have a couple questions wondering if you all can help...

1.) if all my chicks are from the same hen/rooster will they all lay the same color egg? I was told they're Easter eggers and that they'd be white but so far they're all black even their new feathers coming in are white.

2.)one of these little guys started crowing today lol it was so cuute! They're about 5 weeks. Is this a for sure sign it's a rooster?

3.) about four of our 10 chicks have crooked beaks. Two of them are pretty bad. They're the smallest of the group. They still seem happy and they look like they're eating but I'm not sure how much is actually getting down them. Is there anything special I should be doing for them?

Thanks so much and sorry that I'm the annoying newbie asking a bazillion questions but you guys rock and I really appreciate it
1f609.png

Last edited:
Most likely a rooster.

EEs have laid green,or blue,or pink eggs,they likely will lay the same eggs.

EEs can be several different colors,they are bred with several breeds across the world.

If you have some chicks with serious cross beak tendencies, you need to monitor them for growth and weight by comparing them to the normal chicks. It should become obvious if they are having trouble taking in enough calories and nutrients before long.

Most cross beak chickens manage pretty well, but if you're concerned about yours, you can either dampen the crumbles with warm water, or better still, start fermenting the feed for all of the chicks. This is very simple to do and it prevents the feed from going bad since you feed a prescribed amount each day so there aren't any leftovers. The feed also has the advantage of containing natural probiotics which increase the nutrient intake of your flock.

I won't go into it now, but if you're interested, I can tell you how to do it.

Back
Top Bottom