Advice needed...considering raising pheasants!

Lopi1234

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 8, 2012
Hi I was wondering what are some of the pitfalls or difficulties with raising pheasants. Are there pheasant types that don't require a permit? Which kind would be considered the best egg layers? Thank you!!

Usually it's ringnecks that require a permit to raise,but you would have to check with your local fish and game dept to be sure.Ringnecks are your best all around birds for egg production and meat,plus they mature a little fster then ornamentals.You will need a huge pen to raise ringnecks as they are cannibals or you will need to put blinders on them to stop the cannibalism.
In N.H.,Tony.

I was told that you don't need a license for melenistic ringnecks, or if you have less than 12 regular ringnecks. But I could be mistaken. You also don't have to have to have license for ornamentles, at least in Michigan. Some big problems with the melenistic ringnecks are that they are very aggressive towards each other and will readily canibalize.

A melanistic is a ringneck so I believe it requires a permit for any ringnecks species or sub species if your state requires it.Best to check with fish and game dept for requires.As not only do the birds need permit they have pen requirements also.Here in N.H. they come out and inspect the pens to make sure you have the proper sq ft per bird.I believe it is 25 sq ft per bird here.It may have been shortened since I last raised ringnecks which was about 12 years ago.
Each state is different so you need to check your state regulations so you won't get into trouble.
In N.H.,Tony.

Definitely check with fish and game. I started pondering getting ring necks for food and to have around. I didn't really know where to start so I joing this sight and sent an email to my fish and game. I honestly didn't think there was much about them...couldn't be more wrong! Here in New Jersey you have to have a permit for any game bird and any amount. On the permit you have to fill out how many you are geting, what you are geting them for, where you are geting, a vet who can take care of them, intended diet, discription of the pen along with photos of the pen. The suggestion for pen size is 25ft per bird with a 15ft minimum. So I think they are a bit of work but will totally be worth it in the end.

The ornamentals do not require a permit,but they don't have the egg counts the ringnecks have.They lay every other day where the ringneck is everyday and a longer laying period then ornamentals.Plus the ringnecks are better meat birds.
In N.H.,Tony.

pmed you...importing into michigan requires the person be npip certified and sends the birds with the form vs9-3....if they are not certified you can still ship them in however you have 90 days to get each bird a clean bill of health....and make sure in michigan you dont get birds that have been vaccinated with the ILT vaccine as if you do....they will "depopulate your flock" as kris the department of agriculture guy said last week to me...every state is different so this pertains only to michigan...you can however bring birds from all over michigan without the headaches of paperwork or a guy testing your birds...just make sure you dont get a bird with it vaccinated with ILT....hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom