Runt or Little Roo?

Skitt-Chicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 3, 2014
Lynnwood, WA

Runt or Roo? The little guy on the right was purchased the same day as the lil one on the left. Straight run Silver Pencil Laced Plymouth Rock Bantams. It's noticeably smaller as you can see, and not feathering out. They're 2 weeks old. S/he is eating, drinking and pooing fine, sleeps with the others and is active. It did "Peep" loudly the first few days, but settled in. Eating 1/2 organic feed & 1/2 medicated, was on fully medicated the first week. Eats mealworms fine too... Should I be concerned?!

It's a very slow-to-develop chick, not even having any wing tip feathers yet, and those are present by the third day. No one knows why some chicks lag so far behind in development, but they seem okay in every other respect. Some are so drastically far behind the others, they can still look like week-olds at six weeks.

Yes, it appears you have yourself a runt. But an awfully cute one! As long as it's eating and pooping and playing with the others, try not to worry. But there's nothing you can do about it anyway.

It will be interesting to follow the development of this chicks. Can you update every week with pics? I wonder how long this chick will still remain a "baby".

Will do! We've named it "Rex" as it has short lil t-Rex wings! Do you think I should keep it with the bigger ones as they develop into larger birds?

Last edited:
By all means keep it with the others. Runts do far better with other chicks. They learn to assert themselves and the bigger chicks don't seem to be aware of the size difference.

How is Rex doing? I have a little chick that seems to be a lot like this and I'm wondering what to expect!

Back
Top Bottom