Limping chicken

Mintatheena

Chirping
Sep 18, 2014
Orlando
Looks like whatever killed my white araucana 2-3 weeks ago was infectious. She had a limp and stopped eating. I have a black Araucana that has a limp now, is pooping greenish yellow, and has lost a lot of weight. She will still eat from my hands and such but has trouble getting to food on her own. Any ideas? At this point it seems moot to quarantine her cause she's been exposed to every other one of my chickens for weeks, along with that white araucana. It happened suddenly, about 3 days ago? It could be Mareks but she's just not showing any other symptoms! I dont live anywhere near other people with chickens, however there is a pond with ducks pretty close by. My yard is all fenced. What do you guys think? I'm worried for the rest of my flock

If it is Mareks then yes they can have a hard time actually eating (in fact wanting to eat can excite them which seems to cause fits that make it very hard for them to pick the food up in their mouth).

One idea is to give them soft wet food that is easy to eat in big bites (with extra nutrition/calories like raw egg in it). Also gently guiding their heads so their mouth is over the food can allow them to eat (especially if their head/neck starts going sideways when they try).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom