silver spangled Hamburg. Male?

Hatching

Songster
6 Years
Jan 2, 2014
I ordered 2 silver hamburgs from ideal, hatched 2/17 and I'm thinking they sent me a male :mad: here are some of the pics of the chick in question. His comb is already red and bigger than the other chick. No waddle development yet.

This is the other chick for comparison

The "male in question" chick is definitely thicker than the other. I know they are just over two weeks old but I've never had a rose comb chicken before and this chicks comb seemed too red too soon

Last edited:
I would lean towards rooster because of the larger redder comb. But, it is too young to be sure.

I would lean towards rooster because of the larger redder comb. But, it is too young to be sure.
I'm really hoping it's not. I was so excited about them too! That chick feathered out the fastest too so up until a couple days ago I was sure they were both female.

What is the minimum age to sex a chick? I've heard 5 weeks and 8 weeks

Can you post a picture of the wings? The males have much more white on them than the females. With mine I was able to tell first thing because the male had much more yellow down with fewer dark grey/black markings.

From what I can see though it does appear to be male.

Can you post a picture of the wings? The males have much more white on them than the females. With mine I was able to tell first thing because the male had much more yellow down with fewer dark grey/black markings.

From what I can see though it does appear to be male.
from what I remember they both have pretty much black wings with white spots but I'll get that picture for you when I get home

This picture is two of mine as chicks. The pullet is on the right and the cockerel on the left. She is darker overall with grey down on the upper wingers and a narrower comb. He was lighter overall with pale silvery down on the upper wings and a broader comb.

Here are the pics of the wings
The "male"

The other one "female"

The wings seem practically identical. The "female" chick does have larger black spots on her chest feathers and has some black around her beak.
The "male" is more feathered out and has bigger tail feathers

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom