Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
Hi! I’ve been quiet for a while since I lost 4/5 of my hens. I was super attached to them and it’s been really hard. They have died from heat exposure, illness and by being victims of a bobcat. We have learned so many lessons through this loss and we can better now. We got more hens a month ago but I am not emotionally attached to them. It’s really hard to not get attached.

I love this, thanks! I've been busy in my garden with the start of the spring growing season! My girls have been enjoying pecking through the weeds and spent cool weather crops. Hope everyone else is having a great year so far!

Attachments

• 20240414_114217.jpg
    20240414_114217.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Hi! I’ve been quiet for a while since I lost 4/5 of my hens. I was super attached to them and it’s been really hard. They have died from heat exposure, illness and by being victims of a bobcat. We have learned so many lessons through this loss and we can better now. We got more hens a month ago but I am not emotionally attached to them. It’s really hard to not get attached.
That's really hard. Sorry for the loss of your flock!

I've had many convos with my kids about the pros / cons of getting attached to the hens, so I totally get what you're saying.

Hatched or some chicks last month for my sister. Set 8. 6 hatched, one wasn’t fertilized and one quit. So not a bad hatch. Lost a hen a couple weeks ago to impacted gizzard. Everyone else is great and laying like champs!

Attachments

• 464350DE-0EF0-48E0-98D9-579FDB8E8B1B.jpeg
    464350DE-0EF0-48E0-98D9-579FDB8E8B1B.jpeg
    696 KB · Views: 1
  • 3AA32FAD-7DF0-46A0-BDE0-4BF5523DE6E0.jpeg
    3AA32FAD-7DF0-46A0-BDE0-4BF5523DE6E0.jpeg
    796.9 KB · Views: 1
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)

Hi there! What a great idea to reach out. This is a great community service <3
We are on our second community of chickens over four years - our four lovely Issa Browns died, over the last two years, the last one to go was the dominant, 'Roostie'... beautiful birds and great layers and, alas, bred for the industry, we heard, so short lifespans.

Now we have three rocs - one barred roc, and two others - two years old - healthy and happy, it seems - but the last four months they've barely been laying! One egg a day! Though, all three are laying - so each is only laying 1 egg every 3 days. And one of them, the shell is too thin, though they get added calcium and the other two's shells are hard. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Snowy,Red and Bardie-Apr2024.jpg
    Snowy,Red and Bardie-Apr2024.jpg
    943.1 KB · Views: 1
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Oh boy it's been awhile! Our flock of "covid" chickens has changed with only one of the OG girls still going at 4 years old. One girl acts like we're always trying to sell her something and keeps away from us😂

Back
Top Bottom