Oxytetracycline

shbouton

Songster
5 Years
Mar 22, 2015
Good morning,

We purchased 5 (3day old) chicks from the Ace Hardware yesterday, purchased the medicated feed and they gave us a bag of oxytetracycline HCI to put in their water. I want to make sure I am not overmedicating and if so, how many teaspoons or partial teaspoons of the Oxytetracylcine HCI should I put in a quart of water? I am not very good at conversions since the packet they gave me has 10 grams in it and the instructions say 10 mg per pound of body weight daily. I am terrified of giving them too much. Also, should I be giving them anything else? Thanks so much in advance for the help! :)

You shouldn't give antibiotics unless you have a diagnosed bacterial infection. Stick with just the medicated feed. The medicated feed contains amprolium (may also contain Bacitracin, you'll have to check the bag). The amprolium is a thiamine blocker to help prevent coccidiosis. A clean brooder and fresh water and feed is the best way to keep them healthy.

Thank you ssssoooo much.
hugs.gif
That was my gut feeling but that's all it was, a gut feeling!

Maybe they were just pushing product but I'll double check by calling tomorrow. Thanks so much for all of your responses...
love.gif

I'm giving Oxytetracycline in water to a sick hen. First time I've ever used Oxytetracycline. When I mix the powder in water (I use 1/4 tsp yellow powder per quart of water) the water looks very pale yellow at first, then gradually turns clear, which doesn't surprise me. But 2 time I've found the water has turned PINK! Don't know whethr this means my hen has a wound in her mouth or whether there's some kind of reaction (perhaps btn the Oxytht and sunlight?) that causes the pinkness. Any ideas? Thanks. --Annie

Back
Top Bottom