help please??

chuckaroo

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
hay everyone!
I need help? I have successfully hatch 3 chicks by incubator, they were about 4weeks old, last night i put them in my coop in a separate made box, unfortunately rats got them, i had honestly thought i had cleared the infestation, anyway one survived, she is injured slightly on her back and staggering, still eating and drinking! i am wondering is there any kind of antiseptic creams ect i can use on her, sorry for writing this on the intro page i haven figured out how to write on the forum yet any help please chuckaroo!!

Greetings and
welcome-byc.gif

Sorry to hear that, rats can be such horrible predators. You probably did clear the infestation, but more will always move in and quite rapidly too.

Depending on where you live you may be able to access Veterycin I think it's called, lots of people use that, raw honey can also work well, I use Stockholm Tar (pure with no additives and not diluted) and I'd also add raw garlic to her feed, finely minced, half a clove to two cloves depending on how much she wants, possibly added to something like hardboiled egg mash. That'd help boost her and it contains many natural antibiotics as well as sulfur to speed healing.

There's quite a good chance that the damage is deeper than is apparent, rats rarely make shallow wounds, so of course regardless of what you do you may well still lose the chick. Hopefully not.

Best wishes.

Thanks so much chooks4life that's helped a lot I will have in my local suppliers and see what I can find, if I cannot find it I will definitely try the honey and garlic, I currently have her back under the lamp she seems to be okay for the moment, we are in the country side of Kildare so unfortunately for us the rats be around no matter what we do
1f612.png
but thanks so much for the reply i do appreciate it so very much
1f60a.png

Hi :welcome

Sorry to hear you lost two of your chicks to rats :hugs Wishing you the very best of luck with your remaining chick, keep an eye out for infection that may develop. Hope your chick is back to full health soon.

Enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

I'm sorry to hear about the rat attack!
hugs.gif
I hope the remaining chick turns out okay.

Do you know anyone with Jack Russell terriers? They would love to clean out your rats, and owners like to show off their skills. Can you go online and see if there is a JRT club around. I'm sure the members would like the chance to hone their dogs' skills. They even have "trials" where the dogs prove their heritage.

Back
Top Bottom