Limping hen that stands/walks like a penguin, please help!

Mar 29, 2024
Hey there, my 6 year old hen, Flower, has just started limping yesterday afternoon. She has never had any problems or injuries and she's has always been a small, healthy girl. When I went to their coop yesterday, she tried walking towards me and I noticed a limp in her right leg. It was almost like she was kind of dragging it a bit. I picked her up and felt around her limping leg and I didn't see or feel anything wrong. I put some medicinal spray on it to try to help.

This morning, when I let them out into their pen, I noticed Flower's limp was worse. She has an even harder time walking and she's now standing and walking like a penguin. I checked her legs out again and nothing seemed wrong. She doesn't have bumblefoot or seem to be egg bound. My family and I are thinking it might be from jumping onto the perch or nesting boxes, but those arent even that high. Could it be a pulled muscle, ligament or something of that sort? We have no clue on what happened, please help and give suggestions!

I'd like to add that she is still eating and drinking normally and we don't have any other large chickens that could've injured her.

Last edited:
:welcome

When was the last time she laid an egg? By standing/walking like a penguin, do you mean that she is holding her body completely vertical like she's laying an egg, but nothing is coming out? Kinda like the hen in the picture below? (This hen was not egg bound.)

1711733234114.jpeg

:welcome

When was the last time she laid an egg? By standing/walking like a penguin, do you mean that she is holding her body completely vertical like she's laying an egg, but nothing is coming out? Kinda like the hen in the picture below? (This hen was not egg bound.)

View attachment 3785465
Yes! She stands and walks like that. The last time she laid was probably back in October before she started molting. She's done molting now though but hasn't laid since.

She may have sprained her leg jumping or landing from the roost. But salpingitis from internal laying can cause masses of egg product inside the abdomen, and it may cause them to walk upright and have trouble walking. Many times we don’t know exactly what is going on until after death when a necropsy can be done. The graphic pictures in this thread in post 5 show advance salpingitis and egg masses:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/water-belly-or-constipation.1614113/

She may have sprained her leg jumping or landing from the roost. But salpingitis from internal laying can cause masses of egg product inside the abdomen, and it may cause them to walk upright and have trouble walking. Many times we don’t know exactly what is going on until after death when a necropsy can be done. The graphic pictures in this thread in post 5 show advance salpingitis and egg masses:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/water-belly-or-constipation.1614113/
Salpingitis can't happen that suddenly can it? Because my hen was walking and running around normally yesterday morning. Also, are there any sure ways to check for it or a sprained leg?

Salpingitis like shown in the picture can take a couple of years to build up. If a vet is possible, they can rule out a fracture, but it is harder to diagnose a sprain. Usually those can get better with days of rest. Look for any green bruising or swelling over the leg. Check for any bumblefoot scabs on the foot pads. I wouldn’t let her run around or jump on/off a roost, but have her rest the leg. Just make sure that she can reach her food and water, and get some grit and oystershell if you have those available.

Salpingitis like shown in the picture can take a couple of years to build up. If a vet is possible, they can rule out a fracture, but it is harder to diagnose a sprain. Usually those can get better with days of rest. Look for any green bruising or swelling over the leg. Check for any bumblefoot scabs on the foot pads. I wouldn’t let her run around or jump on/off a roost, but have her rest the leg. Just make sure that she can reach her food and water, and get some grit and oystershell if you have those available.
Will do! Thank you so much for the help :)

Back
Top Bottom