Standing & Walking Like A Penguin but NOT Egg Bound?

Bpage

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2022
Hey there, any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
3 days ago my 7mo old hen came out in the morning walking and standing like a penguin with a slight limp. On solid surfaces such as concrete or my vinyl flooring, she cannot stay balanced and her legs try and splay every which way.
She is not egg bound and has laid every day. She has no fluid in her belly and is pooping and eating super well. She wants to be super active and out with all the others and is very unhappy if I put her up. But I’m afraid she going to get even more seriously injured.
What do you think is wrong and what could have caused this. Before this she was running around perfectly fine like normal. She is 7mo old.
I do have a very large rooster. Do you think her hips could have been injured during mounting?

IMG_2611.jpeg
IMG_2607.jpeg
IMG_2608.jpeg
IMG_2605.jpeg
IMG_2613.jpeg

Hey there, any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
3 days ago my 7mo old hen came out in the morning walking and standing like a penguin with a slight limp. On solid surfaces such as concrete or my vinyl flooring, she cannot stay balanced and her legs try and splay every which way.
Looks like wry neck.. consider supplementing with vitamin E and thiamine (or B complex)..

https://blog.meyerhatchery.com/2017/08/wry-neck-in-chickens/

What is her regular diet including treats and supplements? Was she vaccinated against Marek's?

:fl

Looks like wry neck.. consider supplementing with vitamin E and thiamine (or B complex)..

https://blog.meyerhatchery.com/2017/08/wry-neck-in-chickens/

What is her regular diet including treats and supplements? Was she vaccinated against Marek's?

:fl
I had a hen in the past who had wry neck and it seemed completely different from this. But I will supplement with what you suggested nonetheless.

She is on a 20% layer feed and also
Has access to our duck and goose feed. I feed my flock once a day a serving of fermented scratch grains.
Oyster shell is always available and they get black soldier fly larvae and produce scraps a couple times a weeks.
They free range from 7am-7pm so she’s always had plenty of bugs and grasses. We just got snow a couple days ago so they are not wanting to leave the run much now.

I was told she was not vaccinated for mareks from the lady I got her from.

I wonder is she might have roach back, a spinal deformity. Hens with internal laying can develop this posture, but if she is still laying well, it could be a skeletal problem. I will try to post some pictures of other chickens with this deformity.

Would something like that appear out of nowhere at 7mo? She has always ran around just fine. I have also felt all over her body thinking maybe she had a hip or spinal injury and there are no bumps anywhere that I can find. Her spine by touch, seems straight and it doesn’t bother her to apply any pressure on it.
She just started doing this stance and walk 3 days ago. Super strange

Last edited:
It doesn’t look like wry neck. The photos look like she is trying to peck at the ground but cant really get her body angled down. I’m quite unsure what it is as she is laying eggs still. I’ll @Wyorp Rock and @Eggcessive
I took those photos out of a video I have of her. But then realized I couldn’t post it from my albums so I took screenshots. She is actually able to reach the ground without much effort thankfully and is eating super well.

Would something like that appear out of nowhere at 7mo? She has always ran around just fine. I have also felt all over her body thinking maybe she had a hip or spinal injury and there are no bumps anywhere that I can find. Her spine by touch, seems straight and it doesn’t bother her to apply any pressure on it.
She just started doing this stance and walk 3 days ago. Super strange
Honestly, I have never dealt with a roach back deformity. It might be that she has hurt herself or a deformity has just become apparent.

Back
Top Bottom