Hen walking like penguin

Egg-Head

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2021
Hello all,

I have this hen and she is walking like a penguin and has a big bloated belly. I thought maybe she was egg-bound, since she also stopped laying, but she has been this way since early spring.
She is still eating/drinking and pooping, still maintains her spot in the pecking order, just walks around all upright.
Has anyone ever seen this and corrected it?

Attachments

• F6AD238B-07FC-4AE5-8808-8A1F058CBA92.jpeg
    F6AD238B-07FC-4AE5-8808-8A1F058CBA92.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • E25BE68D-EC9D-48E9-A93F-F0D49A60F6E7.jpeg
    E25BE68D-EC9D-48E9-A93F-F0D49A60F6E7.jpeg
    890.9 KB · Views: 20
Has anyone ever seen this and corrected it?
Could be ascites known as water belly or internal laying know as egg yolk peritonitis as the first considerations for looking into.

Some folks will use a needle to drain the fluid and increase comfort, some euthanize as the condition is not considered fixable or comfortable, others let nature take it's course. Some have gotten hormone implants to stop the internal laying.

The color of the fluid may be an indicator as to which condition has presented.

Spring would be an odd time of year to quit laying. Reproductive disorder seems possible.

These are just possibilities.. some hens have a little junk in the trunk (abdominal fat plug). Other reproductive tumors are also not uncommon.

No, I wouldn't personally expect something to improve that's been taking place that long.. like her stance.. but that wouldn't stop me from looking into the cause and making her as comfortable as possible.. and also planning for what will happen when a turn in behavior does take place.. decrease in pecking order, appetite, foraging, or other quality of life indicators.

:fl

Back
Top Bottom