Getting some goslings next month and need some info (I am trying to decide whether I should get toul

I'm gonna get some goslings next month, and i don't know anything about them. There are two breeds to choose from, Embden and Toulouse (I can't spell it), so I was hoping if anyone could give me some info on them.

Embden vs. Toulouse, which one will earn my home?

I'm gonna get some goslings next month, and i don't know anything about them. There are two breeds to choose from, Embden and Toulouse (I can't spell it), so I was hoping if anyone could give me some info on them.

Embden vs. Toulouse, which one will earn my home?
Congrats on getting some goslings!

Both Toulouse and Embden geese are in the heavy class of geese, don't fly, and weigh about 20 - 26 lbs. Toulouse are primarily used as ornamental fowl, while Embden is used for meat.

Toulouse geese come in two varieties, grey and buff. They lay 20-50 eggs per year, and are massive, loose-feathered, and have a large dewlap.

Embden geese come in only one white variety, lay 40-60 eggs per year, and are blue-eyed.

Hope this helped!

Last edited:
Congrats on getting some goslings!

Both Toulouse and Embden geese are in the heavy class of geese, don't fly, and weigh about 20 - 26 lbs. Toulouse are primarily used as ornamental fowl, while Embden is used for meat.

Toulouse geese come in two varieties, grey and buff. They lay 20-50 eggs per year, and are massive, loose-feathered, and have a large dewlap.

Embden geese come in only one white variety, lay 40-60 eggs per year, and are blue-eyed.

Hope this helped!
There is also the production and french Toulouse neither have dewlap and are not as heavy as the Dewlap Toulouse.
I have both Embden and Toulouse both are very nice geese to look at. I'd say the Toulouse is more laid back in temperament than the Embden But I only have an Embden gander so can't say anything about the Embden female. Let us know what you decide on. And there is alot of info on line about the different breeds too, go to Metzers website and look up these 2 breeds.

There is also the production and french Toulouse neither have dewlap and are not as heavy as the Dewlap Toulouse.
I have both Embden and Toulouse both are very nice geese to look at. I'd say the Toulouse is more laid back in temperament than the Embden But I only have an Embden gander so can't say anything about the Embden female. Let us know what you decide on. And there is alot of info on line about the different breeds too, go to Metzers website and look up these 2 breeds.
Thanks for the update! My copy of the Standard of Perfection only listed Buff and Grey; it's the 2001 edition.
hmm.png
Are the production and French in the newest edition?

Thanks for the update! My copy of the Standard of Perfection only listed Buff and Grey; it's the 2001 edition.
hmm.png
Are the production and French in the newest edition?
I don't have either book sorry I just know from seeing for myself and reading about them. We have a thread for the Dewlap Toulouse and also the Production Toulouse right here on the goose thread. I'm not even sure what the difference is between the production and the French other than name I haven't looked it up, to me they look very much the same.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700242/toulouse-geese-thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/716980/buff-dewlap-toulouse-thread

Last edited:
Metzer Farms is a good place to see photos and a brief description of each of the Toulouse and the Embden as well as a number of other breeds. They are at metzerfarms.com if you want to check them out.

I have 3 Production Toulouse and they are superb birds. They are a good size, usually friendly and affectionate (it is breeding season and we have goslings so the attitude is a bit more aggressive right now) and are fully capable of flight. They are not as large as the French or the Dewlap. So, if you ask me, Toulouse are the best.

However, if you ask an Embden owner they will probably say the same about their breed.

My suggestion would be to go over the descriptions of the geese, consider what you want the geese for and just follow your heart/instinct. If you are like most goose people you will be totally infatuated with what ever breed...or breeds...you end up with.

Breed crosses are also a great choice.

Are any of them good mothers?

oh is a buff goose a breed or a color? I think it's both

Oh wait nevermind, an American buff goose is a breed... i realized that i could get this breed sooner, in about a week, so i might get a buff... i don't know i want them all!!!!

Back
Top Bottom